29. pinky promise

Wednesday November 5th

Here we go again.

The school day had dragged on forever, so a Class Council meeting to top it all off wasn't exactly ideal. Nonetheless I had gotten done with it, managing to still be conscious.

My car was once again in the shop, today it decided it wanted a tire rotation, so Shan was stuck as my chauffeur. Which was fine until she woke me up a half hour earlier than I usually get up. And I would have gotten over it if she didn't have to stay after the meeting to have another meeting. Which meant all day I was stuck looking for a ride. But no one wants to wait an hour after school to drive me home.

That was until Cade.

He texted me at lunch and said that he heard I was out of a ride. Luckily the basketball team had a forty five minute meeting today, which meant he only had to wait fifteen minutes for me. And I could get a ride home and bully him into helping me with my college project.

Which sounds like a win to me.

"Took you long enough." He tone was serious but the lazy grin told me otherwise. He was sitting on a bench in the athletic hallway, which people only went down if they were leaving or coming into the school. Seeing as everyone from my meeting and the basketball team had already left, the only thing that would see us are the security cameras.

Before I can stop myself my fist hits him in the shoulder and I roll my eyes.

He lets out a laugh and stands up, so that instead of us being eye level, he's back to standing a head taller than me. "So how was your meeting?"

"Boring," after being in class council since freshman year, it starts to get tiring. "Shan just wanted to go over our budget and different things."

"Sounds fun."

"Exhilarating." We walk next to each other in silence, making our way out the doors. "So how was your meeting?"

He holds up a piece of cloth and hands it to me. "We just got our jerseys."

The cloth he gives me is in fact a jersey. It looks like our school colors threw up on it, not that I expected anything else. "Number 22." I hand it back to him after turning it around to see the back which his name and number on it.

We had reached his Jeep now, I climb in the passenger seat while he throws his bags in the back before getting into the drivers seat.

"It's been my number since 7th grade, can't switch it up now." Of course I knew that it had always been his number, like Shan and Colin were going to let me live without that information.

"Is it your lucky number?"

"Honesty I chose it because the number 23 was already taken, which was my lucky number. But I think over time it's changed to 22."

I always thought that lucky numbers were lucky since the day you decided to have one, my numbers been the same since I can remember.

"Do you have a lucky number?"

"2."

"Hmmm, seems pretty sketchy."