Chapter 2

I was in the kitchen sitting on the counter watching Harry. I didn't want to leave him. I finally had someone to care about me. I was curious about the punishment Harry was supposed to give Wes but was too weak, and afraid, to ask.

He made chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, and some Kool-aid. I was starting to get bored but was too weak to ask to get down. Finally, he looked at me.

"Harry?" My voice was barely over a whisper. The smell of the food was killing me! I was so hungry.

"Yeah?"

"Would you take me to the TV? Please?" I asked hopefully.

"Of course, buddy," he said as he picked me up and took me to the couch. The boys were watching some sort of cartoon with a yellow square and pink star. Sponge-Bob, I think. Wes looked at me shivering and went to get me a blanket.

"Anything, in particular, you want to see?" Asked Ollie.

"No... I haven't watched TV in so long. I don't know anything about it anymore." I said looking there way.

"Oh, okay." Said Wes sitting back down.

30 minutes later

"Boys! Dinner!" I tried to sit up but was immediately picked up by Ollie.

"Thank you," I said gratefully. They sat me on my chair. Harry placed our plates in front of us and said grace. I dug in. It was delicious! I haven't eaten a home-cooked meal in years! Literally. I finished before everyone else and asked for seconds. Harry piles more pieces of heaven on my plate and put it in front of me again. By the time I finished with my second plate, Wes was done.
"Do you want me to take you to the living room, Alex?"

"No, thanks!" I felt stronger now that I had some food in me. I got up and walked into the living room and watched TV for a bit. When Harry came into the living room I began to feel guilty.

"Harry? Can I help with the dishes?"

"What? No! Please, wait until your stronger."

"But I feel bad! You've done so much for me! The least I can do is help with the dishes."

Wes looked at Harry hopefully. "Alex, wait until tomorrow! You can help them. If your arms or legs don't hurt.

A little later, Ollie came into the living room and we watched some TV until the boys had to go take showers. When it was just me and him he moved towards me.

"Alex, I want you to stay with us. But if you don't want that I can take you to a home. But I don't want you living on the streets anymore."
I looked at him in awe. He wanted me to stay? Why?
"I... are... um... are you sure?" I stammered. Who would want a skinny broken boy?

"I'm positive." He said confidently. I hugged him. "Thank you!" I said into his chest. He hugged me back and rubbed my back.

"Come, Alex. You must be exhausted. We have a spare room but no mattress. You can sleep on my bed tonight. I'll sleep in here."
I followed him to his room again and got into his bed. He turned on the TV and put it on Disney Channel. It was only 8 o'clock but I fell asleep almost instantly.

4:30 AM

I woke up terrified! Where was I? I tried to remember when Ollie came in. He sat on the bed.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah," I said remembering where I was. "How did you hear me?"
"I'ma light sleeper. Heard you gasp and thought I'd check on you."
"Thank you."
"No problem!" He said proudly. "Just uh... call if you need me. Okay?"
"Alright," I said turning to look at the TV. A show called Liv and Maddie was on. I fell asleep after an hour or so. As I drifted off, I couldn't help but think, FINALLY! Finally I have a family that loves me.