Chapter 14

A/N: As I said, this is about a week in the future. It's on a Wednesday and Harry has taken time off of work, although Wes and Olli are at school. This one's going to be pretty long and boring so bear with me. It's not a filler but it is a filer, if that makes sense. Harry is filing paperwork to legally adopt Alex.

"Okay Alex, we're going to pick up some Chick-fil-a breakfast before we head over to the police department," Harry said to an exhausted Alexander in the backseat of his car.

He'd dropped the boys of at work, having already called off the whole week, and picked Alex up from his bed, pajamas still on and all.

He'd spent the week calling the local police department seeing if he could schedule an appointment with a social worker and a CPS agent, called his insurance company making to cover an extra child, and was now on his way to legally adopt him.

Pulling into the parking lot of the police department, he grabbed a pair of jeans, t-shirt, and some tennis shoes out of his bag, giving them to a slightly more alert Alexander.

Hesitantly, Alex dressed and grabbed his iPod and headphones, then walked into the PD.

:;:;:;:;:;:;:

"Mr. Easley and Alexander?"

"That would be me!" Harry and Alex stood and walked into the personal office of Mrs. Amy Martin and took a seat.

"Mr. Easley, welcome to the Central City Police Department, my name is Amy Martin and I'm the head of adoption and child services here. I'm just going to check the system and get everything up to date."

"Sounds good." Alex plugged in his headphones, blocking out the two adults in the room, and began playing his games. This allowed Harry to talk peacefully without the fear of Alex hearing something he shouldn't.

"So Alexander is from what city, state, and last name please."

Having discussed everything with Alex over the past few days, Harry was able to answer that question quickly. "Houston, Texas and his last name is Murphy."

"Alexander Murphy... Houston, Texas. Okay! He's in the system and his records are up to date, almost." Amy spoke in a muttered, low voice as she filled on the application.

"Alexander, where have you been the last year? Or did your agency forget to fill out your yearly forms?"

Alex, who wasn't paying attention, took so while to explain to Amy where he'd been the past few months. "I, erm, I uh, well... I ran away... last year."

"Can I ask why? I need to know so I can file a report and get you adopted by Harry faster."

"Erm... because they were, uh. They were hurting me I guess. The families. And I didn't like how they only kept me for a few months, sometimes weeks. And uh, they were always mean. They, they didn't let me do anything. And they, like drank and stuff.

"I just didn't like it."

"Okay, that's alright. I'm sorry that happened to you, buddy." Amy then turned to Harry. "I have to enter his information into the system, which'll take about thirty minutes. After that I can get you transferred over to a social worker. Does that work for your schedule?"

"Yes, totally. Umm, I've taken the week off, and if needed, I can take off next week as well."

"Oh no, I don't think that'll be necessary. Now if you'll excuse me." And with that, Amy began to type furiously into her computer.

«»«»«»«»«»

"Back in the car, Alex and Harry were driving to the office of Alex's new social worker, William Hurley.

William was a tall, lanky African-American man who seemed nice enough. But of course, like it is with all government business the meeting was extremely long and boring.

"Hello, Mr. Easley, Alexander. I'm William Hurley and I'll be your social worker for the next year, give or take. As long as everything goes to plan, of course.

"I'm just going to go over your paperwork on the system and then I'll have to examine yours, Mr. Easley."

"Sounds good, sir."

It didn't take long for the man to go over the paperwork as May Martin did just an hour before.

"Alrighty Alex, Harry. Everything looks good. I'll just have to have you sign some paperwork that allows you to foster, I'll need your licence, and then we'll have to transfer Alex to a facility for the next two months or so, depending on how long it takes to get you qualified." William Hurley spoke as if he didn't just say what he just said. Transfer Alex for two months? That was going to be Hell for the boy, and he'd probably just run away. Again.

"What?" Alex was shocked. He couldn't just leave Harry for two plus months waiting for his qualifications to be correct!

"But, Mr. Hurley. I've already got paperwork for adoption and foster care. I got legal custody over my younger brother five years ago. They were ages eight and nine. They'd lived with me for two years prior to that in a small apartment, ages seven and six. And before that we lived with out parents, who were abusive and such."

"I see. Well that, that actually changes a lot. Do you have your paperwork?"

"I do."

And with that, Alex could relax again.

=-=-=-=-=

William Hurley went over the mega stack of paperwork simultaneously filling out the requirements, and they were done within the next two hours. They said goodbye to Hurley and went to eat lunch before meeting with the CPS agent.

After they confirmed their scheduled appointment with the agent, they were allowed to go home after a long, tiring day of adoption.

A/N: Alex is not adopted yet but the major things are out of the way. This was a boring chapter but it was a filler and it was necessary for the story. See you through the screen, adios! Lol.