Chapter 6

Yuji looked at his watch and nodded at Kida.
"Money runs this world... Guess you aren't worth the dough..."

Nala's teary eyes stared at the floor and her shoulders slumped when Kida held out his arm to her. She looked between he and I... the tears wouldn't stop.

"I'm not the best guy... but I'm also not the worst. I will protect you Nala..."
He spoke to her.

Yuji looked on with his usual poker face.
"I'd leave now if I were you. If you leave any later, you'll never reach Okinawa before sundown."

Kida nodded and waited patiently for Nala to latch onto his arm. She moved away from him and pulled me into a suffocating hug.
We hugged each other tightly and cried, promising to see the other again.

"It's not like you'll never speak again... women are so dramatic."
Kida commented.

He pulled her away when we refused to stop embracing each other. She latched onto his arm weakly.
"Promise me.... promise me we'll see each other again. Please..." she begged.

Kida nodded and ushered her out of the room, throwing a knowing look at Yuji.

But that was two hours ago...

I was left with a sour stomach, a whole in my heart and a deep hatred for my father..

All in all, I was more so mad at myself for believing that my dad would make a sacrifice so grand on my behalf.

Hell, he'd left my mother and I when I was fourteen years old. He still provided for me when it came to basics but I tried to hold on to a sliver of hope.

I'd hoped that he would do something amazing... perform a miracle for his only daughter.

Yuji stepped out shortly after Kida left with Nala and had yet to return. Worst case scenario for us would have been life in the Yakuza's brothel. We dodged a bullet but I still felt like we'd lost in the long run...

My best friend had been bought not even twenty four hours ago. Purchased like an item at a local grocery store or a product off of amazon. I was about to be in the same boat and with my luck, whoever bought me wouldn't be as gentle as Kida was with Nala.

I clasped my hands together and prayed to God once more. Whatever happened, I still trusted in the most high.

I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up, Yuji was eating a boxed lunch in the corner.
He simply motioned with his head toward another lunch and told me that we'd be leaving shortly.

The food was good but I couldn't enjoy it fully. Maybe I'd never get food like this again.

When we exited the room, I was surprised to see that everything was so modern. I didn't see any of the homeless sleeping in the streets, there weren't any bars and when I looked up, the buildings seemed to touch the sky.

"Where are we?"
I asked in awe.

Yuji retrieved the cigarette carton from his pocket and removed a cigarette, letting small item dangle between his pink lips.  He looked around, unimpressed by our surroundings and simply stated, "Fukuoka."

The city was bustling and busy. I didn't get as many stares in this area as I did when Nala and I first touched down but people still looked at me with intrigue and wonder.

I also noticed the looks they gave Yuji before they quickly returned to their tasks at hand. Yuji cracked a smile and walked like he didn't have a care in the world. Women walking on our side of the street quickly crossed over to the next and men kept their heads down.