Chapter 18

Nala's hand trembled and Kida took his wife's hand in his, squeezing it as a way of comforting her but the way Maggie was looking at her..

The phrase "if looks could kill" was very appropriate for this moment.

Yuji was on the other side of the penthouse smoking a cigarette while Maggie glared at her friend.

"Why didn't you tell me...?"
Maggie spoke up.

Kida flicked his eyes between his wife and her friend.
"It's my fault-"
He started but Maggie silenced him with a motion of her hand and a another nasty glare.

Maggie turned back to her friend and waited for her response.

Nala licked her lips nervously.
"How was I supposed to tell you? You don't even have access to a phone! I .. told Yuji to tell you." She finished, flicking her eyes in Yuji's direction but he didn't even turn at the mention of his name.

Maggie scoffed.
"You're my best fucking friend! You should have told me yourself. You could've visited, you could've tried to check on me more! And then you marry this guy? Have you forgotten that we were bought?!"

Nala flinched at Maggie's tone.

Once again, Kida tried to put in his two cents but Maggie had words for him as well.

"You know what kind of condition I was in.. and you probably didn't tell her a damn thing. We had lives before all this. But I understand that your obligation is to your wife. You and I aren't friends.." Maggie seethed, shaking her head at Kida.

Her voice was cold when she turned her attention back to Nala.

"But you and I are. We came into this together.. you're the only person I trust and know in this entire country.. You're living this little fairy tale illusion. These"
She emphasized, gesturing at Kida and Yuji.
"These men are killers.. It truly must have been some phenomenal dick.."

Yuji continued to smoke his cigarette, not bothering to throw a glance behind himself and witness the drama that was unfolding.

Nala shot her a look and shook her head.
"Like you and Yuji haven't fucked! You know, you're such a hypocrite, Maggie. God damn!"

Maggie was livid. She looked at Nala with fresh eyes.
"You're the reason we're here now! You! I came to this country to support YOU! I've done nothing but stick by YOU! When you abandoned me at the bar, when you abandoned me when we got settled into our dorms, when you abandoned me when you were short on rent for the apartment we BOTH shared! When you slept with this man... and led him to our hotel room. YOU. I should smack the shit out of you right now!"
She shrieked.

A look of fear flashed across Nala's face and she closed her mouth quickly.

Yuji could hear the anger and sorrow drip from every word. He had never seen Maggie this angry..

Maggie's voice dropped an octave and she decided to just get straight to the point.

"You were my best friend.. and you abandoned me.. marrying a man you've known for all of two months.. You make time for the people in your life that are important...You probably don't even care about the families we left behind.."
She whispered.

Nala opened her mouth but closed it, squeezing Kida's hand instead. She had no rebuttal because she knew that everything Maggie had said to her rang true.