Chapter 16

(Yuji's POV)

Things were about to get very interesting.

Maggie downed the glass of water dramatically and she threw it toward me. I dodged it easily and it shattered in the hallway. As much as I wanted to be serious in that moment.. I could not.

I placed my hand over my mouth to keep it in but it forced its way out and I double over with laughter. I can feel the tears springing from my eyes and I just laugh until my sides begin to ache.

Maggie clenches her fists and closes her eyes, waiting for her life to end...

I sit across the room trying to contain my laughter.
"You are truly something, Maggie Jeffries."

She huffs.
"One hour and I'll never have to hear your voice ever again."

I smirked and smoothed out my tie with my slender fingers.
"That's what you think... Throw them up... or else I won't be responsible for what happens when that hour is up..."

Maggie steadies herself and takes shaky steps toward her bed.
"I didn't want it to end like this.. But I'll take what I can get."

I set the alarm on my phone to an hour from now and lit one of my cigarettes. I know she wasn't a big fan of them.
"You mind? I mean you are about to die... it shouldn't matter now, huh? Tell me your last dying wishes."
I taunted, letting the smoke exit from my nose.

Maggie was clenching and unclenching her hands.

"Speak up. You never shut that mouth of yours when we're alone but now you're silent. Answer me, Maggie!"

She flinched at my tone and turned away from me.
"Let me die in peace..."
She said softly.

I sucked my teeth and flicked my cigarette onto the floor.
"You'll experience nothing but peace when the life leaves your eyes.. Isn't that what you Christians believe? Heaven? Why don't you tell me all about it."

She shook her head.

I shot up from the chair in the corner of the room and stood next to her bed with a nasty smirk tugging at my lips. My polished black shoe makes contact with the bed and I repeat the action over and over again.
"Tell me about Heaven, Maggie. Do you think I will go there? I'm a pretty bad guy but God will forgive me right?"

She's ignoring me.
I kick the bed harder.
"Right? He forgives me, right?!"

Maggie jumps and her body shakes.
She's crying.

"Yuji... let me be..."
She pleads but I'm not finished yet.

A humorless laugh leaves my lips and I run my hand through my hair, turning away from her while look at my watch.

Fifteen minutes have passed.

"No."

Maggie is weeping... silently weeping.
I sit on the floor close to the end of her bed and watch her fall into pieces.

"Since you won't talk.. I will."

I take off my shoes and place them behind me neatly before I retrieve a picture from my pocket.