Chapter 26

(Yuji's POV)

I arrived at the club at 10:15... I'm late as usual and take a seat next to the Boss. I bow in his direction and nod my head toward his guest, we small talk and he asks me about my bride to be..
I gave him a tight lipped smile and told him that we were doing well, lying through my teeth. He nodded and turned to another member, waving a few waitresses over.

Two glasses of the Boss's favorite liquor, Hibiki Japanese Harmony, are placed in front of him before he can utter a word and I only have to nod at the waitress. The Quartz Koi housed some of the most expensive bottles of booze from across the globe. A variety of interesting concoctions and even stranger smells. Much too complex for my pallet but guaranteed to knock you on your ass after the first glass. Although I had a comfortable amount of currency, I didn't like to throw my money away.. Unlike the other customers, I only drank plain Sake when I came here. The glass is set in front of me and I throw it back, relishing in the way it burns all the way down.

My hand came up to massage my temple at the thought of Maggie.

How ironic...

After my meeting with the Boss, I got him to agree to a personal favor. Maggie hadn't done anything crazy and I felt like we came to an understanding so I pulled some strings so show my gratitude come wedding day.

A person Maggie had been dying to see.

Maybe the woman that knew her best could bridge the gap... if not for me, for Maggie's sake. Our conversation had been extensive and I know that she didn't care much for me...
Understandable.

I groan in annoyance and clench my fist in anger. Still, I would not keep the poor woman from seeing her child. I had a soft spot for mothers and held a profound respect for the ones that actually cared for their offspring. Hell, I still shed a tear or two every once in a while for my own.

Hellen Jeffries would be in Japan in exactly seven days, first-class.

Another glass of Sake was set before me and I emptied the fiery liquid into my mouth.

Maggie. Maggie. Maggie.

I took a step forward and Maggie had thrown us two steps in the opposite direction.

It would be a lie if I told myself that I didn't look at Maggie differently after pulling such a careless stunt.

I didn't expect her to roll over like a dog after we got engaged or married... No. I wanted her to still live as a normal person but I feared for her.

Common sense was not one of her strongest suits...

I was going to have to work twice as hard to ensure that she was safe...

Well, safer than the protection I was offering her which seemed to be jack shit with how easily she got herself into a mess.

Maggie Jeffries... What am I going to do with you?

Arranged marriages weren't common in the Yakuza..
quite the opposite...

We weren't supposed to have female companions and for good reason.

Wives were a liability and always placed at the top of an enemy's shit list.

No woman in her right mind would want a target placed on her back for the remainder of her life; having to look over her shoulder every time she left the comfort of her home.

Maggie was going to draw eyes regardless.

".. isn't that right, Yuji?"
The Boss's voice brought me back to reality and I looked up with a puzzled look before nodding quickly and messed with the end of my jean jacket.