Chapter 11

After dinner with Jeremy, I didn't know where to go.
I didn't feel like being alone so I drove to Lauren's house.
She opened the door for me while holding Jaden on her hip.
"Hey , I didn't know you were coming" she said before letting me in.
I went straight to her living room and laid on her coach.
"I hate my life." I groaned.
"What happened?" She said putting Jaden down to play.
I told her everything from how I was feeling to what Tony had said.
Lauren sat quietly and listened to me vent , she would nod occasionally and rarely asked any questions.
By the time I was done , I was on the verge of tears again.
"Girl you sound dumb as hell." She said
"What?" I was taken back by her bluntness and lack of support. I thought she would be on my side.
"Do you want to know where the father of my child is tonight ?"she asked leaning back into her seat.
"Yes?" I was unsure as to what I should say I assumed he was already sleeping.
"He's at his mommas house because apparently this house is too damn noisy for him to get enough sleep."
"Oh" I wasn't sure how to respond to that. But it became aware to me that I've been self absorbed and hadn't bothered to check on my friend.
"My point is , there aren't many good men out there. You got a man basically at his knees begging you to allow him to love you, to let the world know you're his woman and who's eager to sort things out and fix the problem. Most men would have shook your hand and said goodbye. But he's here ready to apologies and admit his faults and you won't allow him that. I would kill for my man to even acknowledge half of the shit he puts me through but I know for a fact he never will. So put on your big girl pants on, go to him and hear what he has to say. Give him a real chance. Don't make him pay for someone else's mistakes." Lauren looked at me with pleading eyes filled with emotion. I quickly got up and embraced her.
We held each other and cried.
Cried for her failed relationship and for my stupidity.
"I think I'm ready to be a single mom ,well officially a single mom" she said with tears running down her face.
"You are the best mom Jaden could ever ask for." I said rubbing her back and tightening my hold on her. I soon felt same hands on my thigh and looked down to see Jaden joining the hug, making both Lauren and I laugh.
"Go get your man" Lauren said

"What is he doesn't want me anymore?" I asked feeling the insecurities and fears rising.

"That's impossible. But if you stay here any longer it might be possible after all." She said with a teasing laugh.
We hugged goodbye and soon enough I was driving to Tony's place.

****

I stood outside of Tony's door trying to find the courage to knock.
I didn't know what I would say but I knew we needed to talk but my nerves were getting the best of me.
I took a deep breathe before knocking on the door. But the nerves hit me again so I decided to run away before he answered the door.
I ran down the corridor to the elevator and repeatedly pressed the elevator button.
But It was taking forever.
I heard Tony's door open and saw his head sticking out looking for whoever had knocked on his door.
We made eye contact as the elevator arrived and I ran in and quickly closed the doors and pressed the button for the ground floor.
I made it to ground level and quickly walked to my car but before I could even unlock it I heard Tony calling out my name.
He ran towards me shirtless with just sweatpants on. And somehow didn't break a single sweat from running after me.
My heart was rapidly beating.
My palms were sweaty and the closer he got to me, the further I wanted to be.
But there was no running away.
It was time to face the music.