prologue

The sound of my heavy breathing and erratic heartbeat was all that could be heard across the room. Tears streamed down my face uncontrollably as I tried to steady my breaths.

"I know you're in here Cassie, Just come out. I really miss playing with you,"

My hand practically went into my mouth to muffle the screams that wanted to spew out.

"This is getting old Cassie, I don't want to play hide and seek anymore. I wanna play mirrors!" The child-like voice whined.

All I could do was pray. pray that she won't find me. Pray that someone would save me. Pray that I could go back in time and prevent all of this from happening. But sadly, I knew none of that would happen.

Accepting my fate, I dug my hand into the pocket of my jeans. Shakingly removing a wrapped object. I started to unravel it, All the while looking up. The voice of the little girl taunting me.

"You can't do it, Cassie, We're friends and you love me," I tried to ignore the voice as all my memories started playing in my head.

I never thought it would end like this, I thought I'd live longer. I thought I would have a normal life.

But I realized, I was never actually normal, to begin with.

Saying a prayer in my head. I finally looked down at the hand mirror.

Silence.

Everywhere was silent as I stared into the mirror. The little girl staring back at me.

"you'll never get rid of me!" she spat. "you need me, just like I need you,"

Looking into her crazed eyes brought back memories. The black eyes were truly haunting.

Haunting for the fact that they were identical to mine. But that wasn't the only similarity between us. No, the weird thing was that we looked eerily the same. The only difference was the age gap.

While she looked nine, I was nineteen. Other than that, we looked alike. But deep down I knew she wasn't me. I couldn't actually be looking at myself....right?.

It was impossible.

"No matter how hard you try, you'll never get rid of me." The girl said in an extremely calm voice. Then she was gone. I was looking at my dead dark brown eyes staring up at me.

Heaving a sigh of relief, I got up and tiredly put the mirror back in my pants.

'It's over' I thought silently. Walking out of the dark space that used to be my room. I went to pick up my bag at the bottom of the staircase.

Opening the door that led outside, I was greeted by the cool early morning breeze.

Walking forward and never looking back, I got my bike from the side of the shed and balanced my bag and body on it before I got on the road.

Peddling fast as my life depended on it. I didn't notice the apparition that appeared beside me or the truck that was speeding right towards me until I was blinded by headlights.

The screams of the driver made it obvious, it was too late.

Pain exploded all over my body in the most unimaginable way as I was harshly thrown off my bike and welcomed by the hard tarmac road.

I could actually feel my broken bones and my blood flowing down different parts of my body. Straining to keep my eyes open, I saw a figure staring right down at me.

"I told you already, you'll never get rid of me,"

Then everywhere went black.