chapter 8

"How did it happen?" I asked, still trying hard to control my voice.

"When she was going back to the city, an out of control truck hit her car," Aunt June said looking at me with pity. Although something about it looked off.

I tried to talk again, but it became seemingly hard with each effort.

"Is she okay?" I forced out. Mina looked at me sadly, while aunt June spoke up.

"She's been put in a medically induced coma,"

A sob made its way out of my mouth. "We have to see her," I said standing up.

"She needs me!" without waiting for their reply, I started walking towards the doors, when I was blocked by Webster.

"Get out my way!" I demanded not even caring if I sounded rude. I tried shoving him aside, when I was held back by Mina.

"Lia please calm down," She pleaded.

"My mum is fighting for her life in the hospital and you want me to calm down? Hell no!" I shouted angrily.

"Lia calm down," This time it wasn't Mina who spoke but aunt June.

She calmly stood up from her chair as she started walking towards me.

"Your mother told me to take good care of you Lia, I can't allow you to go," she spoke in that emotionless voice of hers that I was beginning to find extremely irritating.

"Your sister is in the hospital right now and you are not letting her own daughter see her! What kind of aunt are you?" I cried out incredulously.

"I can not allow you to go. Besides, your father is there with her,"she said in her monotone voice.

"What! He won't be able to take good care of her," I countered.

I felt extremely angry. It was ironic that after he missed out on her life by choosing to work all the time, he finally decided to come back when she wasn't even conscious.

"It will be useless to visit her now Lia. The road leading out of town is closed." Aunt June said.

The road was closed...

"Why?" I asked.

"Because of the accident Lia. There were some damages done and they are fixing them. Maybe when they are done, Katrina would have woken up. Then we can see her," Aunt June reasoned.

She stepped in front of me and held my shoulders. "All we can do is pray Lia. There is no reason for all this drama,"

I felt so angry and sad, at this moment I never hated anybody more than I hated aunt June. But deep down, I knew she was right.

I calmly removed her hands from my shoulders and made my way up to the room.

I locked the door then I threw myself on the bed. I wasn't sure if I was crying or seething in anger because of how badly I was trembling, but there was one thing I knew for certain,

I regret coming here.