chapter 9

There was someone knocking on the door, but I had no strength to stand up and open it.

I heard Mina call out my name, but I still didn't answer.

Finally the knocking stopped and I was left alone with my thoughts.

I stared blankly at the white ceiling, then I turned to the window.

It was already night time. I wondered how mum was doing.

I decided to talk to the only friend I knew would be able to make me feel better. I checked my contacts until I came across her name, then I called.

On the second ring she picked up.

"Hey Lia," a tired voice answered.

Not being able to deal with hearing a voice that reminded me of home, I broke into a new set of tears.

"Oh my God, lia are you okay?" She asked in concern. I shook my head but knowing she couldn't see me, I talked out.

"Andie, I'm so sorry for disturbing you," I said pathetically.

"Nonsense Lia! You never disturb me. Now tell me what's wrong, the Lia I know hardly cries," another sob left my mouth.

"It's my mum Andie, She had an accident,"

"Oh my God! What? When? How? Is she okay?" She asked worriedly.

"She's in a coma Andie, a freaking coma. She can't move, she can't talk, she can't do anything," I said crying.

"Wow Lia, I don't know what to say to comfort you," Andie said sadly.

"Hearing a familiar voice makes it better," I told her honestly.

Even though I wanted to mention  that I couldn't even see my mum. I choose not to. It wouldn't solve anything and it would make Andie worry even more.

So for the next hours, she cheered me up with positive words and updates on what was happening at home.

"I'm serious, Sarah actually has a boyfriend. Like can you believe it! After she practically swore off boys," She said yawning. "And he was in the football team and–"

"You're tired andie, you've yawned like five times. And you already told me about Sarah's boyfriend before," I  said interrupting her redundant words.

"I feel a lot better, just go to bed, okay?"

"Okay," she replied weakly.

"I know you are strong Lia, hang in there! And just remember, I'm only one call away,"

"Yes, yes, I know Charlie puth. Goodnight.

"Goodnight Lia,"

Even after the call ended, the phone stayed in my hands.

I was grateful to Andie for making me feel better. I put my phone on the nightstand, then I entered into the world of sleep.