chapter 24

"I thought I heard a male's voice in here?" Mina asked as she looked around the room.

"Nope, just me, myself and I..." I said awkwardly as I closed the windows.

Mina looked at me suspiciously as she came close to the window.

"What were you looking at?" She asked as she tried to look outside.

"Oh, nothing, just the trees, and birds... You know, good old' nature," I said as I blocked her view.

"Oh cool, I love birds. Let me what species," she said as she tried pushing me away from the window.

"No, it was just a hummingbird. It probably flew away by now so there's no need," I said as I blocked her again.

"Just let me see the bird!" She demanded as she pushed me aside and opened the window. 

I ran back to look to the window as we both looked outside. The view to the ground was very clear but luckily I didn't see Jake anywhere around.

Mina looked around with scrutiny as she closed the window.

"See, the bird is gone now. You must have scared it off," I said haughtily as we stepped back from the window.

"Sorry, but I could have sworn I heard a guys voice," Mina said as she looked around again.

"Nope, it must have been in your head. Now can you go? You have interrupted my peace and privacy," I said as I crossed my hands an looked at Mina with anger. I was not going to forget that she was a huge snitch.

She nodded as she looked at me with sadness. "Lia I'm real-"

"Nope, I don't want to hear it, Mina. Nothing you say would make me forgive you. I mean you ratted me out! I don't do friendships with snitches."

I could see that she was hurt by what I said but I didn't care. If she didn't say anything to aunt June then I would have been out of here.

The more I thought of it, the more scared I became. If aunt June was really my mother, then that meant that this would be my home... The thought of that made me shiver. No way! I hated this place. Jake's words still had not sunk in. Aunt June couldn't possibly be my mother.

Mina walked out of the room sadly and closed the door. I felt my body relax as I went to lock the door.

"Psst, Jake, you there?" I asked as I opened the window and stuck my head out.

I heard some leaves shuffling around as he came out and looked up at me with anger.

"Seriously? You can't even ask if I'm okay! My legs hurt like a bitch. I think it's broken," he whined as he bent down to hold his leg.

"Oh stop being a baby and get over here, I have some more questions for you," I said as I motioned for him to come back.

"I can't climb in these conditions! Do you hate me that much?" He asked as he shook his head at my request.

"Fine, then I'm coming over there," I said as I hoisted myself up the window.

"Be ready to catch me!" I said as my legs dangled off the window.

"Wait! What? I can't catch you!" He protested.

"At the count of three," I said not listening to him. Luckily he brought his hands out to catch me.

"One, two-" but before I could get to three, I felt something push me hard from behind.

***
Authors note:
Hi! What a chapter. Sorry for the late update again. I don't think I'm going to the college of my dreams here. There are soooo many people there and they're all smarter than me! Eesh, and I thought I did well with my scores. So I'm checking out other colleges and I'm super busy. I know, I know, not part of the book, just an update on my life. Hehe.

Do you guys think Lia and Mina would become friends again? I just noticed that their names rhyme. Lia, Mina, Mina, Lia... Hmm...

Who do you think pushed Lia?

Will she fall and die!

Find out next time on keeping up with Lia! That's a horrible title.
Love you all!💖