3: "I love to defy orders."

Oa

One Year and One Day After Leaving Earth

"Cyra Brion, since you have arrived on Oa, leaving your home of Earth behind and beginning your training, you have excelled in everything you have been taught. The Council of Guardians agrees that you are more than ready to take the responsibility of the Ring. By completing your training, you are officially accepted as a full Green Lantern. From now on, you will guard Sector 1999. May you protect it with your life."

"'Course," Cyra nodded once at the Guardians seated high above her on their pedestals. Hal, Guy, Jessica, Kilowog, even Salaak, plus dozens of others, were against the walls like paint with their hands clasped in front of them. The blonde's chin was jutted up slightly, her smirk reflecting the lazy glitter in her amber eyes.

She looked different. If she was to arrive back on Earth to parades and fireworks, she would be afraid her old friends wouldn't recognize her.

Any baby fat that was once on her face had melted away into a square jaw and sharp features. Her arms had begun to get muscular curves from training and a growth spurt even laughed her a few inches taller. Her hair that was once past her shoulders now stopped above her collarbone, having developed slight curls over time. Sometimes, when her eyes flickered towards reflections when she passed by, it was like watching someone else wear the green suit with a new, cold expression on their face.

"Dismissed."

The Guardians vanished into the shadows. The other Lanterns pushed off from their places on the walls and mingled among themselves, most leaving through the door to a large dining room that was set up as a large feast.

Kilowog came up and patted her on the shoulder with one large paw that racked her body and almost sent her to the floor. "Good job, kid," he said gruffly. "I always knew with a little dog grease you had it in you."

"Thanks," Cyra said dryly.

Hal's warm arm wrapped over his shoulders. He excused them as he led her to the dining hall, Cyra's walk similar to that of a robot as her arms swung solemnly and a thousand-mile look in her eyes left her gazing into a far distance, narrowed to a focused point. Hal's grin cemented down as his eyes flashed to her momentarily.

"Cyra, you can always stay here for a few more days. Just to get your bearings."

"I know, Hal, you told me it all before," the blonde sighed. "I want to do this."

"Maybe it'll get your mind off things to have something to do," Hal offered, more to his own thoughts than her.

She hummed but didn't speak.

"Come on." Hal led her down the hall where voices were beginning to echo. "You have a party to get to. Guy's been planning this for weeks and he'd be heartbroken if you skipped out on Oa before at least dropping in."

Cyra's jaw clenched for a moment. That was exactly what she was planning.

"Fine," she shrugged. "It can't be that big, right?"

Hal smirked as he opened the door and shoved his old protégée through.

Her mouth dropped.

A large circular room used for banquets and such stood out, but it was decorated with flags of greens, blues, and purples. Balloons littered around the floor and Cyra had the impulse to pop them but held it back. Large tables of food laid out from every corner of the galaxy. Some crawling in bowls and other glasses of wine bubbled on its own. There was a whole wall with Earth foods for the girl in honor.