9: "Premor?"

Planet Almarac

One Month and Five Days After Leaving Earth

    Cyra was set up in a room in the castle. Queen Maxima had insisted that she sleep in the palace despite Cyra wanting something in the city, the farthest away from the Queen as possible. She was put in a large room, the mattress coated in the green fabric as was the walls and almost everything in the room—seemingly to be made specifically for a Green Lantern where she had hidden out for the last two days as she organized her thoughts.

    She missed the subtle beauty of Euphoria instead of the mostly metal planet that reminded Cyra of a prison. Euphoria had been requesting her back through J'acoob, but Cyra denied everything, saying she wanted to get her feet settled in the sand and get some trust built with the Queen. Hiding out in her room probably wouldn't do that, but Cyra could try.

    Eventually though, around hour twenty-six, she got bored of pacing back and forth in her room and decided to explore the castle. As she walked down the hall, warriors and servants ran past, sweating and always rushing to get somewhere like being four seconds late will make them be executed. Or maybe thrown into slavery, who knew?

    Cyra's fingers traced the gold in the walls and like a raccoon, she was distracted by a shiny painting. It was more like lines than a painting. Lines were cut in the stone of a wall and then filled with gold, making an abstract look like some type of battle—blood and war made up most of the decor here, but it was unique and looked very expensive. Cyra wondered if she could rip some gold from the wall to pay for payment on their house.

Cyra's eyes dropped to her feet. There was always hope she'd go back to Earth, but millions of lightyears made that hope fade.

"What are you doing?" a scratchy voice demanded.

The warrior from the night of the space pirate invasion was there, glaring no doubt. Cyra couldn't see her face from the metal masked wrapped over it, but her tense body with crossed arms said plenty.

"Hanging out?"

"Who are you hanging?"

"I meant I'm just looking around," Cyra scoffed.

"Don't you Green Lanterns have duties?"

"Wait for something bad to happen and then ignore it apparently."

"What?"

"Nevermind. What are you doing?" Cyra nodded to the sword at the girls hip. Cyra remembered when it lit up with electricity. "What type of tech is that?"

"Almarac has only the most advanced and sophisticated technologies," the woman said stiffly.

"Not my question, but okay."

"My queen alerted me when you left your room." Cyra raised an eyebrow. It wasn't exactly comforting knowing the Queen had her eyes on her. "I'm assigned to make sure you find your way around."

By 'find your way around', Cyra was almost certain it meant 'to make sure you don't cause trouble' which was too bad considering that's exactly what Cyra wanted to do.

"I'm sure I can handle it on my own," Cyra said.

"I have orders and you don't really have a choice." Cyra narrowed her eyes at the woman. She couldn't see her face and the stillness of the mask unnerved her, but the woman stood and spoke with everything she needed to know to imagine her face.

"Alright then," Cyra shrugged. "I bet the queen had something in mind."

"She's like to see you train more. She sees much potential in you."