8: "Does my back look like it's made for knives?"

Oa

January 27, 01:00 EST

    The Green Lantern ship paused in the middle of space, where they remained still in the air. In the distance, a small green sphere with symbols scrawled in on the side. It matched the symbol on both Cyra's and John Stewart's chests.

    "Good luck, Green Lantern," John said, and he and Cyra bump their fists together. The others Leaguers watch on the planet with interest, giving her similar goodbyes. Wonder Woman wishes her luck, Superman tells her to return soon, and Batman just nods to her.

    Cyra looked back at them. It has been so long since she's seen them all. Even then, she was only a teenager. Now she was legally an adult and they were treating her as such. It was a very different feeling than being looked down and taught. They expected her to know what she was doing and mistakes didn't seem to be an option.

    She was closer to Earth and all of them, closer than she has been in five years, but she felt farther away from them than ever. Cyra looked at them and realized they weren't friends. They were barely acquaintances.

    Space was lonely. Being home wasn't much different.

    Cyra motioned Nobody forward, wrapping him in a green bubble as they floated out of the ship. They went a large distance in the air before turning and watch the Green Lantern ship zip off into space. Space was so large, it took a long time for the ship to disappear into the black.

    "You ready, Nobody?" Cyra asked in Interlac.

    "Dumb question, human."

    "Yeah," Cyra sighed in English. "Me too."

    It wasn't very long until they reached Oa, but Cyra wished it was longer. Unlike Earth, Cyra was on and off Oa a lot in the last five years and the one that she experienced touching down on the green metallic city with the glowing lights was extinguished. It was more like seeing an old classroom. Oa never felt like home either. Earth was even foreign now. Cyra wondered if she was being too picky.

    "Remember, be sad about what happened. Say you want to live out on Earth as punishment or something. Just don't go on about how you hate humans or the Corps. As long as you're respectful, you should do fine."

    "I am sad that my people were slaughtered and living out life on Earth would be punishment."

    "Good. You'll sound genuine."

    When their feet touched Oa's grounds, there was no more need to talk in Interlac. There was a rough accent to Nobody's words—like an echo. The Battery not only powered Oa but the atmosphere around it. The Guardians of the Universe installed it so everyone could understand each other. It was easier than learning the languages or having a ring translate it.

"This place is much . . . different then I imagined," Nobody said in awe.

"Is that a good thing?"

"I imagined it to be bigger."

Cyra scoffed to cover up her laugh. Nobody had quite a sense of humor if he knew what humor even was. They walk up to the main building that acted as the hub for all Green Lanterns.

"I am not sure about this, Green Lantern," Nobody said. "It might just be easier for me to flee."

"When people run, it makes them look guilty."

"What am I guilty of?"

"Stealing technology from other planets, trying to take over other planets without permission, fighting on multiple other planets and making base without permission from the planets or the Corps," Cyra counted off on her fingers. "Anything else I'm missing?"