Nine: One Stab

Stone Prince

"I first met you on the night of June 24th..."

Jimin started his story, paying close attention to the reactions of the other princes. Prince Kim's legs nervously twitched at the mention of the specific date, and Jungkook's eyes widened in fear. Jimin didn't know why they had such worrisome reactions to a date--did it have to do with the pact? I don't know, but maybe telling this will clear it up. They seem oddly anxious...

"It was a mistake for me to go out that night."

The Stone Prince definitely wasn't one to travel out of the safety of his own castle for meetings, but his stand-in had disappeared hours for a family emergency. Jimin couldn't blame the man; in fact, the gray-haired prince encouraged his loyal henchman to defend the people he loved. It only made sense for them to; and he felt partially guilty that he could not protect his own father from his demise. 'You go ahead." He'd told the henchman. 'I'll deal with the trader on my own.'

Normally, Jimin's father would deal with any trading deals around the kingdom. But since the late Mr. Park was gone, Jimin made the bold decision to go himself. His court was not pleased with the choice--it would be risky to have a royal traveling alone--but they could not change his mind. Plus, Jimin was anxious to get out of the claustrophobic walls of his cold, lonely castle. Sure, there were plenty of people who lived and worked in his castle, plenty of people who greeted him kindly in the hallways on his daily walks around the hardly-used upper floors. But Jimin still felt a deep loneliness as gray as the hair upon his head, an inescapable, fully-encompassing void that grabbed at his hardened heart with constant force.

In other words, Jimin was happy to get the chance to ride south. The trade deal wasn't a make-it-or-break-it thing; Jimin already knew the merchant would accept the offer he planned to make because the merchant was an old friend of his father. Jimin demanded to his court that he travel alone; he didn't want any guards drawing attention to him once he was out on the open road. 

To ward off any attention he might get, Jimin had disguised himself in the attire of a well-off servant--very similar to the person who was supposed to be securing the deal in his place. To protect his identity further, the prince wore a matching brown cap that covered most of his hair, in case people put two and two together with his behavior and appearance. 

It was doubtful, as many people from the north had gray hair in their genes. However, if people caught sight of his sword or noticed the Stone emblem on his family ring...

Jimin pushed these thoughts out of his mind as he mounted his steed and bid farewell to the knights at the gate. 

"If I am not back by tomorrow, then send someone for me." Jimin nonchalantly called out to the men as his horse picked up speed. He pushed the cap down further over his eyes and rode at a moderate speed. The delicate wind against his cheeks was fresh and rejuvenating. Tall green pines dotted the path south, distracting Jimin from his troubled thoughts.

The sun was just beginning to set by the time he had arrived at the merchant's abode, just north of the Laurel Prince's castle. Looking up, Jimin could see the tall, elegant spires of Prince Kim's castle in the distance. He had never seen the castle much, but was always amazed at how bright it seemed, even as far away as he was. The entire castle glowed with light, as if excited for whatever was to come that night. 

Even the people in the little town kept stealing glances at the shining structure in the distance, smiling to themselves as if remembering the fun experiences had at the castle. The town Jimin was riding through bustled with activity, street vendors selling this and that to foreigners from all parts of the kingdom. Nobody paid any attention to the capped man atop a silver horse who technically ruled over all of them.