Forty Four: Tree

Jihoon

The air was damp, water droplets forming inside of the mask that was wrapped around Jihoon's face. Every time he shook his head around, he could feel the sensation of the moisture shifting around on his chin, as if it was uncomfortable being on such a person. He galloped along on his horse in the warm air, surrounded by several of his men. Jihoon blended in with his soldiers, almost impossible to distinguish him from the rest. He grinned as he dismounted his horse and strode through the marshy ground towards the awaiting Oak Army. Their horses would be of no use in this swampy field...they would have to fight person-to-person in battle. 

A few more steps, and Jihoon's eyes shot up. 

The Oak Castle was right in front of them. 

Lines of Oak Soldiers stood as a barrier to them in neatly packed formations. Standing several meters in front of the mass of Jeon's soldiers was a gray-haired man, helmetless and dressed in simple leather armor. 

The Stone Prince. It must've been. No one else was cocky enough to go without armor. 

That was like suicide.  

Jihoon rolled his eyes and pushed on. Soon his own men were lined up, facing the opposing army. Fire bubbled in every man's eyes, anticipation high as they faced Jihoon's nephew's castle. The war horns hadn't stopped since two hours ago, blaring loudly and making his soldiers tense up with blood-lust. 

This day was the day Jihoon would put an end to Jungkook's life. 

He could give a shit about the castle; although he told his army that their main priority was winning the battle and destroying the Oak Castle, that wasn't why he was there, at least. 

Jihoon knew that his nephew was ill from the poison he had sent earlier in the week, which made his chances at murdering the prince high. Jungkook wouldn't be strong enough to fight back. 

All he needed to do was sneak into the Oak Castle and find the boy, before shoving his sword into his ribs and putting an end to his life, gloating as the prince's lifeless form crumpled onto the ground at his feet...

"Jihoon, sir," one of his close soldiers nudged his arm, getting his attention, "We all know the Stone Prince is here, but word of mouth has it the Laurel Prince is also on the field, near the back...However, I believe the Oak Prince is locked up in the castle somewhere. There's no sign of him anywhere on the field..."

Jihoon nodded. Perhaps he would get to kill Laurel after taking out his nephew. 

The man turned away and the generals in the front of Jihoon's northern army made several arm motions. Each man, including himself, stepped forward in unison. From the flanks, gas capsules were passed up to the front, and each man unsheathed his sword. The horns stopped blowing, replacing by the war hoots of every man on the field. 

Jihoon watched as the Stone Prince made a motion with each of his hands. The Oak Soldiers stepped forward, their hands slipping behind their back to grasp something. Bringing the objects to their faces quickly, Jihoon sighed as he saw what they were. 

Gas masks. 

How had Jungkook-

"CHAARRRGGGEEEE!!!" his men screamed in a fury as they all ran forward. 

Jihoon followed along with the crowd, approaching the left side of the Oak Soldiers. His men threw the capsules of gas over the center line, but it was to no avail. They burst open, coating the damp ground with their poisonous contents. The gas immediately evaporated into the calm summer air, but it had no effect on the Oak Soldiers.