Prologue

"Yue, stop eating like a pig. The Wangs are sophisticated enough that they don't need to pet a pig like you." My mother's shrill voice was piercing through my ears.

"I am not a pig." I yelled back. "You are... But a cute one." My father winked from afar.

***

It's been four years since Dylan went back to China whereas his family continued to stay in London along with mine. He hasn't even visited London since he left.

I continued to stare through the window. The rain is heavily pouring. And I am running almost late. Shen Yue. I cussed myself.

I wore a white shirt and sky-blue ripped jeans along with white Converse shoes. I grabbed my purse and trolley bag.

"Love you so much Ma and Pa." I said as I stepped down the stairs. "Don't call him. If I'll meet him, I'll inform you." I said as my mother hugged me.

***

Pa was silent during the whole drive. It was the first time he drove himself. "Yue, are you sure that apartment is a good idea?" He spoke for the first time. "Yeah Pa. It's great. It's close to my college and part time. Of course, I would sometimes spend a bit of time in Shen mansion too." I said. He abruptly stopped the car.

"Part time? Do you mean part time job?" He asked. "Yeah Pa. It's kinda a firm. Please Pa. I want to do something for myself on my own." I replied. Pa looked thoughtful. "I never knew that my little Shen Yue grew up this soon." I could see glint of tears threatening to fall off his eyes.

The rest of the drive was silent. I was zoned out completely until I board the flight. As soon as I took my seat, I let my tears fall.