Epilogue

DYLAN WANG

The waiting room outside the Operating Theatre was overcrowded as a duo of policemen waited for the news along us.

Shen Yue had fallen asleep after continuous session of crying. My mother surprisingly sat alone in a corner.

Dee took a seat beside me. “Your in-laws are arriving tomorrow.” She whispered. I knew what it meant. Soon Yue is going to leave my side. No way they are going to leave Yue this way. Even if she is not hurt, will they take chance? No absolutely not. 

Shen Yue stirred in her sleep.

I brushed off few stray strands of her face. “She is alright, that matters the most.” I told Dee.

“And London is indeed safer than anywhere in China.” I sigh. “My brother is all grown up in these months.” Dee tears up a bit.

“Anyways Shen Yue is right. A man can appreciate the title when he earns himself. I don’t want her to be known as Wang Lui’s daughter-in-law or myself to be known as Shen Yi Fan’s son-in-law.”

###

SHEN YUE

Dylan’s words make me emotional again. I try to keep my eyes shut. But fail miserably as I blink my eyes open.

“Hey.” I said as I ruffle his hair. “Everything is going to be okay.” He pecked on my forehead.

A pang of sadness hits my chest as Wang Zhuang, the proud Wang matriarch sits alone, isolating herself from rest of the crowd.

“Aunt Wang are you…” I couldn’t finish. As she turns to face me. I wonder for how long she must be crying alone to form the mascara stained rivulets of tears.

“Why are you here?” Her voice cracked. She softly clears her throat to clear the hoarseness. “Am not worthy of your forgiveness anyways.” She turns to face other way.

“Aunt Wang, I am not here to blame you.” I sighed. “I hope this seat is not taken.” I said as she remained unmoved.

“In love we all create mistakes. Some people forgive, and some don’t… because of love. And I believe you’d never hurt anyone. But unintentionally you did harm everybody close to you. Especially your son, who unfortunately has lost trust on you.” I rest my head on her shoulder.

She sniffs again. “So, Aunt Wang.” I pause and she immediately faces me. “When I am not here, keep my love safe.”

***

The beeping of the heart monitor signified the life. “Yue…” Darren tried to sat up. “No.” I and Dylan said in unison.

“Doctor.” Dylan went to call the doctor.

Yu’er.” Darren said in a frail voice. “The bullet was meant for me. Not for you. Not for Dylan. Love does this to you. Alas I couldn’t save her on time.”

I couldn’t believe on Darren’s words.

“What do you mean?” I ask softly. “Do you think Shan Cai willingly did this?” He chuckled. “That girl took a bullet for you when we were young.”
“Don’t over think.” He sighed.

“Somethings are better kept as secrets.” He gently patted my head as Dylan entered with the doctor.

*The End*

Gosh it feels like an eternity and the book is finally over. And yeaaaaaaaa I'm working on *cues drumroll* Part 2. Till then stay tuned. And DyShen forever.