After the Breakup

SAM

"Pick up, Roon," I whispered to myself, as my ear pressed against the speakers of my phone. "Please, pick it up."

The line went dead. That was my 22nd call attempts to Rooney that day. And it was still ten in the morning. And it made me even more anxious and sad.

I wasn't able to sleep properly last night. It didn't really quite sink in what actually happened. I immediately left out of anger and hurt. And Rooney didn't even run after me. And that's what hurt me the most.

Rooney didn't even go run after me. She didn't even say sorry for what she did. We were both wrong. We both made mistakes. And she knew that.

A tear slowly strolled down my face and I wiped it with the back of my hand. No, I'm not giving up. It's not over yet. I can still get her back.

I hailed a cab to get to Rooney's apartment. The lobby personnel named Linda saw me as I entered the building, and she also saw me failed at getting to the floor I was intending to get to.

I tapped and tapped the access card on the screen and clicked the intended floor. But it said the same thing all in red. ACCESS DENIED.

So Rooney cut my access into her apartment. After all that happened, even just for a night, Rooney had already given up on me. It was now sinking in as I hesitantly walked outside her building, walking aimlessly against the crowd, that I might not even be able to hug her anymore, to tell her that I was wrong and I was sorry, that I would say yes to every thing she would want to do in the future, that maybe she just needed a little space. Am I a little too late now?

I bit back a sob. No, don't break down here, Sam. Not yet. Not here. It's still not over.

But what if it already was the moment I stepped outside the room.

No. It needs a verbal confirmation. It needs to come out from my mouth that I didn't want our relationship to be over just like that. And especially for a petty reason. No. I have a right. I have a say into our relationship. I do not agree to this.

"Sam?" Kate greeted me in her apartment. "What the heck are you doing here?"

I was panting as I knocked several times.

"I need to see Rooney," I said. I demanded entry but Kate didn't even open the door wide enough to get me in. She even closed it to a part where only her head and her right hand and leg can be seen.

"Is Rooney here?" I asked. Kate hesitated and answered, "No."

I could tell Kate was not telling the truth. I pushed my foot into her doorway and she pushed back with all her might.

"Please, Kate, let me talk to her. Please, Rooney and I need to talk."

"Fuck!" Kate shouted, as she fought against me on her door. "Don't make a scene here, Sam."

"What's happening?" I could hear Jaime's voice inside and the door swung open. Kate's knight in shining armor.

"Sam," Jaime greeted in a condescending tone. I could tell he didn't like me being there. He had grown protective over Kate and Rooney now. I could even tell he didn't like me in the first place.

"Jaime,... please.... let me talk to Rooney," I begged.

"Sam, you need to calm down and leave this building," Jaime calmly said.

I shook my head. "No, you don't understand. We didn't end things properly, okay? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things. I shouldn't have left."