Falling in Love

SAM

"I didn't know you were coming," I finally said, after staring at Rooney outside the hallway of my apartment, wearing her blue denim jacket and black leggings, for a good minute.

"Not the sort of welcome I was expecting," Rooney laughed. I laughed nervously as I gave way for her to enter my studio apartment.

"I... It's a bit messy and small..," I said as I began arranging some stuff on the side table and throwing the empty box of Chinese food I just had that lunch. "I..Rooney,.. please have a seat."

Rooney smiled as she took a seat on the only couch I had on the room just beside the bed.

"Ummm, sorry.. I'm not used to do this kind of stuff, normally no one visits me, or no one even knows where I live-" I began, then realized how in the world did she found out where I lived.

Rooney was fast on realizing what I was talking about. "Oh, sorry, I asked Adam. And Adam asked Mr. Woolley's assistant."

I slowly nodded, befuddled by her sudden interest to know where I live.

"Ah, what do you want?" I asked as I ran towards my refrigerator and opened it. "Mmm, how about a bottle of water? Sorry, it's all I have. I haven't done my groceries for awhile."

Rooney was smiling ear to ear. "A bottle of water is fine."

I grabbed one that was ice-cold and gave her one. "You must be thirsty. I mean, coming to this neighborhood."

Rooney took a long sip on the bottle of water and I couldn't help but stare on the lump on her throat as she drank. I gulped. Then she noticed I was staring at her for too long. I went to the nearby window and opened it.

"I'm sorry, it's kind of hot in here," I said.

Rooney chuckled. "Yeah, about this neighborhood, it would seem like you have some explaining to do."

I looked at Rooney, dumbfounded. "What about it?"

"You live this far? I thought your bus stop was near mine."

"Okay, I may have lied on that," I admitted nervously. "I... well, I just wanted to accompany you that night and all."

Rooney had now gone silent. Then I went on, "I actually don't live here."

Then she glared at me questioningly.

I continued, "This is just a short-term lease. For work and all..... I actually live in Los Angeles. I have bought an apartment there, umm, a year ago. I always fly back to LA every one or two months, whichever comes necessary."

I sat on the nearby stool facing Rooney and went on, "My friends are in LA. My parents are in Canada. And my brother lives here, in this building, just two floors down."

"I also have a house in West Hollywood," Rooney began.

"Wow, that's amazing," I said. "Why live here?"

Rooney replied as she looked for something from her purse, "Work. My sister. Although now, I think she's really into this guy she's seeing from work."