A Secret Favor

SAM

As I lay awake on my bed that night, I thought about how my day ended with not only Stephen Woolley's advice on my manuscript's improvement.

I touched my lips and thought about how, just hours ago, they were on Rooney's.

I could still remember how amazing, how soft, and how warm it felt to be kissing her. I didn't care anymore if she wanted to keep it professional and I didn't care if it was just for the sake of her role. At that moment, it felt magical. It felt real. Or at least, I wanted it to be real.

I took my phone on my bedside table and scanned through my contacts, stumbling upon Rooney's number she had given after the kiss.

Hey, I was thinking about the kiss this afternoon, I typed on the screen. I looked at it incredulously and deleted everything.

Then I hesitantly typed again. Hey, about this afternoon...

I stared at the words and clicked the backspace button again 25 times leaving only the word Hey.

I pressed send. And I stretched my arms. How stupid I am to think that the kiss meant something to her.

Of course, it was all just for science. And she's a very dedicated actress. So dedicated that she wanted to practice on it. So surprising she wanted to practice it with me.

My phone suddenly vibrated. A message from Rooney. She replied. I sat up straight on my bed and with my fingers still shaking, opened the message.

Hey, Samantha.

I inhaled through my nose and exhaled through my mouth. What am I gonna say?

How are you? I asked.

I'm fine. How about you?

I'm okay.

It took Rooney five minutes before she replied. Is this about what happened this afternoon?

She opened the topic. There's no turning back now.

I was carefully drafting my reply and had only gone over two sentences when Rooney started calling. I can't go back now. I have to answer her.

I slid the screen to answer. I pressed my phone into my right ear and I could hear her breathing from the other end.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey, Samantha," Rooney's sweet voice slurred through from the other line.

"I.... I don't... honestly," I stuttered as I lay down, my eyes staring at the ceiling, lost for words. "I don't know how to start."

"Okay," Rooney said. She sounded so calm. How can she be so calm? "I'm sorry if I put you in such an awkward and probably the worst situation in your life."

I gave a small chuckle. It was the best, to be honest. "It's okay. I've had worse." Rooney laughed from the other line.

"Do I really suck at kissing?" Rooney suddenly asked.

"I was joking, okay, you.... you were perfect."

There was a moment of silence then she spoke. "I'm grateful for that anyway. Cate and I did the kissing scene this afternoon. I came prepared."

I smiled from ear to ear. "That's nice to hear. I was never a good teacher."

"Have you ever taught anyone?"

"You mean, other actresses who needed my kissing skills?"

Rooney laughed out loud. I sat up straight on my bed again, giddiness taking all over me.