Chapter 10

It was the day after Smokey had finally made a decision, and thankfully it seemed to be the right one. Smokey had been allowed to join Riverclan. Both Ravenstar and Thornheart had apologised to him sincerely as well, much to Smokey's surprise.

Smallberry had been happy to see Smokey return, but was sad he wouldn't be able to apprentice him in Shadowclan. Even better for Smokey, he had been allowed his dream. He could become a medicine cat!

The clan had a mixed reaction to his arrival, but Smokey hadn't really cared to listen to their protest. He had more important things to worry about than petty judges. Lillypaw had seemed quite happy too see him though. Mudpaw too, if not a little nervous.

Smokey was actually talking Lillypaw right now. He was waiting for Jayfeather to be done checking on Shiningpelt. Apparently, she was heavily pregnant and her kits could come at any moment. Smokey wondered what it would be like to watch a she-cat give birth.

They would be heading to the Moonpool later, something else Smokey was very curious about. He hated to admit, he was a little more than excited.

"Smokey, Brownpaw!" Jayfeather called after a few minutes had passed. "It's time to go." Smokey shot up excitement stirring within him, as he muttered a quick goodbye to a Lillypaw. Smokey didn't think he'd ever felt so impatient as he waited for the other medicine cats. Brownpaw watched him amused, commenting that he felt the same at his own apprentice ceremony. But Smokey could tell he was just as excited, after all he was going to become a full medicine cat!

Eventually the cats entered the tunnel to the Moonpool, Smallberry flashing a quick smile to Smokey on their way down. Jayfeather sat down on the centre of the clearing and cleared his throat.

"I, Jayfeather, medicine cat of Riverclan call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help he will serve his Clan for many moons. Brownpaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?
"I do." Brownpaw Replied practically quivering with excitement.
"Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your true name as a medicine cat. Brownpaw, from this moment you will be known as Brownwhisker. StarClan honors your compassion and quick thinking, and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of Riverclan." The other medicine cats cheered as Smokey swallowed hard. Now it was his turn...

"Smokey, is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan as a medicine cat?" Jayfeather asked, blind eyes falling onto him.
"It is." Smokey Replied curtly, sounding a lot more confident than he felt.
"Then come forward." Smokey padded forward to the Moonpool, doing as he was told. "Warriors of StarClan, I present you with this apprentice. They have chosen the path of a medicine cat. Grant them your wisdom and insight so that they may understand your ways and heal their Clan in accordance with your will." All the cats stepped forward preparing to dream. Smokeypaw took a deep and settled down, touching his nose to the Moonpool...

Smokeypaw woke in a quiet part of what he assumed was Starclan's hunting grounds. He was greeted by a beautiful golden tabby she-cat. His mother. She had proceeded to congratulate, telling him he made the right choice. She couldn't have been more proud. Smokeypaw had asked her about the prophecy, but he didn't get much out of her unsurprisingly. Smokey had woken up not long after, feeling somewhat satisfied with the days events. Maybe he had made the right choice after all...