Chapter 11

Smokeypaw was watching curiously as Brownwhisker showed him herbs, when an urgent cry rang through camp.
"Shiningpelt's kits are coming!"
Brownwhisker immediately stood up. "Coming!" Brownwhisker called from the den.

Jayfeather was currently out, so it would just be them. Smokeypaw couldn't believe he was being put into action already. Brownwhisker grabbed what Smokeypaw believed was some Borage before racing off. Smokeypaw hastily followed after him.

The medicine cats pushed their way through the small crowd to the nursery. The other queens had stepped to the side to give Shiningpelt room. Smokey cringed a little as her muscles spasmed tightly, before she settled down. Her breath were hollow and fast.

"That's it." Brownwhisker encouraged eyes shining warmly, "you're nearly there Shiningpelt." Brownwhisker put a paw gently on her belly, he held it there for a moment before retracting it.
"Smokeypaw place your paw on her belly, you can feel the kits little heartbeats." Smokeypaw hesitantly did as asked. Brownwhisker was right. Smokeypaw jumped a little as Shiningpelt tensed again.

Brownwhisker let out a deep rumble, amusedly proud. "You're going to have three beautiful kits, Shiningpelt. Keep going, they'll be with us soon." Shiningpelt barely nodded, and within a few minutes the first kit had arrived. Brownwhisker helped nudge the newling kit over to his mother's belly.

The second arrived not long after. Brownwhisker told Smokeypaw to help the second. He nudged the kit carefully, claws digging out, very nervous in case he hurt the tiny she-cat.

A few minuets later the runt had arrived. Brownwhisker took care of that one, telling Smokeypaw to let Smallflame in.

Smokeypaw popped his head the den and beckoned Smallflame forward. He came in quickly, relieved to see Shiningpelt was okay. He walked over to her proudly and curled up beside giving her a quick lick. "They're beautiful." He purred affectionately. Shiningpelt pelt nodded blearily in response. Smokey would love to father kits himself one day, with a loving a mate-.

"Come," Brownwhisker's mew jumped Smokeypaw out of thoughts. He followed a little embarrassed.

"Shiningpelt's had three healthy kits." Brownwhisker announced to the gathering of cats around the nursery. "They will be fine warriors." Indeed, Smokeypaw affirmed as the group cheered for the couple. One will be a prophecy cat, after all.

Smokeypaw headed back to the medicine den alone. Brownwhisker had gone to deliver the news to Mistystar. Lillypaw was sitting in her nest, probably have been awoken by the commotion. Her ears shot up and her curious gaze fixed on Smokeypaw as he entered the den.

"What's All The fuss about?" She asked somewhere between excitement and panic.
"Shiningpelt's had her kits." Smokeypaw Replied taking a seat next to her.
"Really?" Lillypaw asked excitedly. "That's great! How many?"
"Three." Smokeypaw informed her smiling.
"Awesome! Oh- What was it like watching?"
"Intense." Smokeypaw admitted, "but beautiful. Smallflame is very happy."
"Yeah, I can imagine.... -Which one do you think's the prophecy cat?"
"I don't know, Lillypaw," Smokeypaw chuckled, "they where only born a few heartbeats ago. It'll be a while before they even open their eyes."
Lillypaw let out a huff. "I suppose. Do you think we can go see them?"
"Maybe later? Brownwhisker wants them to have some space."
"That's fair." Lillypaw mewed. "I'm really bored though. I hate being stuck here."
"Well your leg's nearly healed enough you can start walking safely again. It won't be long now." Smokeypaw informed her gently, turning to fully face Lillypaw.
"I know." Lillypaw mumbled looking back at Smokeypaw. They held eye contact for a few heartbeats before Lillypaw looked away a small chuckle emitting from her throat. Perhaps everything would be okay....