eighteen

Almost a month later, my life seems to have changed once again

Dad and I are close. Closer than we've ever been before. Something about this town and our fresh starts has brought us together in ways nothing else ever could. And I love it. I love feeling less alone. I love how the pain I felt on a daily basis has subsided to almost a dull throb by now. I love knowing that my father is happier than he's been since we lost Mom; that he's starting to heal.

I also have a best friend. For the first time since we left Texas, I actually have someone I love and trust and have managed to not run off. It's weird in the best way imaginable. I love Lana with all my heart. She even comes over, which is also new to me. Before moving to Georgia, Dad and I never stayed in one place long enough for me to make friends. Not that I ever tried to make friends, anyway. I was in a very dark place then where light couldn't seem to reach me at all, simply going through the motions without trying to live life much at all.

On top of all this, I even have a boyfriend, Lucas. He's amazing in all the ways that a boyfriend should be: he takes me out on dates, he holds my hand in the hallways, and he's even come over for dinner a few times. It's safe to say that my dad likes him, though I know Dad would secretly rather have me date a football player. After all, that's his team. He knows those boys better than they know themselves.

As for me and Jack, we haven't spoken since the day he got back together with Lacey. We do see each other around a lot, however. After all, it is a small town. Sometimes I even wave when I see him, offering a smile that is genuine enough. I mean, it was Jack who listened to me when I needed someone to be there the most. Plus, he didn't tell a soul the things I told him that night. He's kept my secret, and I couldn't be more grateful to him for that if I tried to be.

Part of me still thinks about him from time to time. I find myself wondering what could have happened if I had let Jack Crawford in instead of push him away; what things could have been like between the two of us. I think Jack Crawford will forever be one of my biggest what ifs.

Not that I care, that is. It's not like I'm pining over the past, regretting the decisions I made. I mean, things are going pretty great now. I can't sit around hung up over some guy. It's pathetic and completely unnecessary. I'd say I've moved on, and that Jack has too. And I think that's good for the both of us.

"So," Lucas says suddenly, bringing me out of my thoughts. We're walking through the hallway, hand in hand, heading for my locker. "What are you doing for dinner tonight? I can't stop thinking about your dad's pasta."

I wrinkle my nose as I glance over my shoulder at him, turning my locker combination into the lock. "Why would you be thinking of my dad's pasta? He's a terrible cook!"

"I don't know," Lucas admits with a shrug and a laugh. He leans against the locker next to mine, smiling at me as our gazes lock. "I kinda liked it."

"Well then." I close my locker before turning to face Lucas again, smirking as I reveal, "You're disgusting."