thirty-five

"Yes!" I cry, flying out of my seat as I clap loudly, bouncing on the balls of my feet

"Yes!" I cry, flying out of my seat as I clap loudly, bouncing on the balls of my feet. My high school football team just made the score we needed to win the last quarter of the game, which means my school qualifies for the playoffs. I turn to Lana, who mirrors my excitement with a wide grin, holding hands as we jump up and down and cheer obnoxiously loud.

I spot Jack on the field, beaming as I watch his teammates rush up to him and pat his back, celebrating their victory. Seeing Jack's wide grin as his team congratulates him for his winning point has me smiling like a lunatic. I cup my hands around my lips as I cry Jack's name, hoping to catch his attention over the chaos going on around me. Jack once teased me by saying he could always hear my cheering over everyone else's, so I put his statement to the test. I'm pleasantly surprised when his head tilts to the row of bleachers I occupy, following the sound of my voice as his eyes search for me in the crowd. I pull his Letterman's jacket tightly around my body as his gaze finds mine, offering a large smile and small wave.

"Watch out college football," Lana mumbles under her breath from where she stands next to me, a low whistle escaping her lips. "Here comes Jack Crawford."

I laugh as I turn to face Lana, the palms of our hands meeting in a high-five. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't immeasurably proud of Jack. He's been nearly unstoppable all season, tearing up the field as if he's already been inducted into the NFL. Part of his incredible playing comes from my father's guidance, and I couldn't be more proud of him, either. So far, we've only lost two games throughout the entire season. That means we're going to the playoffs, and I can't shake the feeling that we have that game in the bag as well.

"There's Kyler," Lana points out to me, gesturing across the field to the guy she likes, though refuses to admit that fact aloud. Kyler seems to spot Lana at the same time she notices him, and I watch as he cups his mouth and cries, "What's up Lana Banana?" I laugh as Kyler turns around and shakes his butt, pumping his fists in the air as he does his victory dance. Lana rolls her eyes at his immaturity, though the blush she's sporting does not go unnoticed by me.

"Come on." I push the over-sized sleeves of Jack's Letterman's jacket I wear up on my arm, taking Lana's hand in mine and pulling her along with me toward the steps of the bleachers. "Let's go say hi!"

"You mean you're going to fawn over your boyfriend while I stand to the side awkwardly while you two suck face?" Lana questions sarcastically as we make our way down the bleachers, the stands slowly beginning to filter out now that the game has come to an end.

"Lana." I shake my head as I say her name, faint laughter escaping me. "Allow me to correct you. I meant: Let's go say to my boyfriend and then Jack and I will stand awkwardly to the side while you and Kyler flirt and make a bunch of sexual comments right in front of us."

Lana rolls her eyes at me, though I notice she's smiling. "Okay. You've made your point."

"I don't see why you and Kyler don't just get together already," I murmur. By now, Lana and I have made it to the gate that separates the bleachers from the field. "I mean, the attraction and sexual tension is so there. Everyone around you two can feel it."