forty-one

The following day, I eat lunch in the cafeteria for the first time since the incident in the auditorium

The following day, I eat lunch in the cafeteria for the first time since the incident in the auditorium. Taking our seats at our usual table, Lana draws on about how proud of me she is for finally facing my fears, though I have to admit that I don't really listen to her rambling. It's hard to pay much attention to anything when I know that Jack, Lacey, and Lucas are all in this room somewhere, meaning I could run into them at any given moment.

Absentmindedly, I notice that our table is rather empty today, only occupied by myself and Lana. The last time I ate lunch here, this very table was filled with Jack's friends, and Jack himself would take the seat by my side. I tell myself that it's better off this way with just Lana, yet when I notice Jack's absence a flash of pain flows through me anyway.

Slowly, I ease back into reality, reminding myself that this is the way things are now, so I might as well deal with it. I'm only just starting to feel a little more comfortable when suddenly Kyler falls into the seat next to Lana, wrapping an arm around her shoulders casually. At the sight of Kyler, I bristle, wondering if the rest of his friends are going to follow. I become less tense when I don't see anyone joining him, meaning I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

"Hey," Kyler says to me in greeting, flashing a wide, easy-going smile my way.

"What are you doing here?" I blurt before I can think better of the question, only realizing how rude I sound after I've already spoken.

Kyler merely laughs at my prying, brushing me off as he says, "I came to eat lunch with my girlfriend, Morgan." Kyler's eyes gleam as he glances at Lana, whose cheeks tinge pink at the title he seems to have given her. "Don't worry, I didn't bring Jack with me. I won't even mention him."

Considering we both know Kyler and Jack are still good friends, it's nice enough for Kyler to acknowledge that I have mixed feelings when it comes to Jack, and to agree not to bring him up. I thank him with a small smile, turning to my tray as Lana and Kyler strike up conversation. I'm not in much of a talking mood, so I just listen to my friends' chatter, tuning in and out every so often.

I end up making the mistake of allowing my gaze to roam the cafeteria, even though I know I shouldn't. I easily spot Lucas standing in the lunch line, not far off from my table. Just looking at him is hard after what he did to me, especially when I put trust in him only for him to betray in the end. I know the two of us have had a pretty rocky history with each other, but I would never stab Lucas in the back the way he did to me. I'm still unsure of how he was able to find out about my mother, though I realize I don't really want to know. I'm sure going down that road will only lead to pain and misery, and I have more than enough of both on my plate at the moment.

I find Lacey shortly after my gaze drifts from Lucas, animatedly chatting with her cheerleader friends at a table across the cafeteria. If she feels guilty or apologetic for what happened in the auditorium, she hides it well. I don't know why it hurts to see Lacey going about her day as if nothing happened at all, though I'd be lying if I said it didn't. You'd think she would show some remorse for her actions, but I can't say I'm surprised that she doesn't.