twenty-three

The gym has been completely transformed for the dance, decorated heavily for the occasion

The gym has been completely transformed for the dance, decorated heavily for the occasion. Streamers hang from the ceiling, spinning around like colorful kaleidoscopes. The lights are low, a beam dancing across the room and fading in and out of different colors. There's a snack and drinks table across the room where kids fill up on punch (which I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's spiked). Confetti drifts to the ground, loud music blasting through speakers, vibrating throughout the room.

I spot Lana and her date, Kyler, by the front of the gym; so I drag Lucas over to say hi. I still feel guilty about being here with him as his date, especially knowing that I'm more than likely going to break up with Lucas by the end of the night. I'm not sure what else to do, as all of this pretending is finally getting to me. Besides, Lucas is a great guy. He doesn't deserve to be strung along. He deserves someone who will love him in the way I just can't.

I dance with Lana for a little while, my mood lifting slightly. I mean, people break up all the time. It's a part of life. Either Lucas will understand that the two of us splitting is for the best, or he won't, but it's what I have to do. After all, my happiness should come first every once and a while. I can't live my life unhappily just to protect those around me. That's not how life is supposed to work.

I'm goofing off with Lana and Lucas and Kyler as we dance to upbeat music blaring around us, having fun for the first time in what feels like forever. That is, until my gaze zeroes in on the gym doors just as Lacey and Jack enter the room. Instantly, I can feel the breath being robbed from my lungs, my good mood disappearing in a downward spiral.

Lacey is a sight to behold, looking as if she just stepped off of a runway. Her blond hair descends down her shoulders in light beach waves, framing her naturally beautiful face perfectly. The baby blue dress she wears makes her eyes pop, perfectly accustomed to her figure. Lacey's presence is one that demands attention, and yet it's not her I find myself staring at.

Next to Lacey stands Jack, and it's him whom I find I can't seem to tear my gaze from. His golden brown hair is the same perfect mess it always is, appearing like he's run his hands through it recently. He's dressed in a tailored black suit that fits him perfectly, a little black bow-tie around his neck to match, merely adding to his attractiveness. As much as I wish I could deny it, Jack Crawford is absolutely breathtaking in this moment.  

As if he can feel me staring at him, Jack abruptly looks up, his gaze immediately locking with my own. I can feel his eyes on me, trailing my figure as he takes me in, staring right back at me as I am to him. There's a moment that passes between the two of us when Jack's stare returns to mine, our eyes stuck on the other's.

That's when the song playing in the background changes to another, the sudden noise bringing the both of us back to life. Jack tears his gaze away from mine just as I do the same, neither of us wanting to acknowledge the other.

And though I force myself not to risk a glance Jack's way, I'm still all too aware of his presence. I know that it wouldn't matter if I left the building, because Jack would merely follow after me in my thoughts. No matter how hard I try, I can't escape him.