forty-two

I haven't been out of the house in a while, so when Dad asks me to pick up a few things from the grocery store, I jump at the chance to leave

I haven't been out of the house in a while, so when Dad asks me to pick up a few things from the grocery store, I jump at the chance to leave. I'm more than sick of lounging around the house with nothing to do, all mopey and miserable. Ever since the night Lacey appeared at my doorstep and told me the truth about everything, I've felt a new since of purpose spark within me. I have hope now, hope that maybe I'll be able to mend the bridges I've broken before they can all come crashing down.

I haven't had the chance to speak to Jack yet, even though I want to. I know I owe him an apology, considering I've been holding a grudge against him for something he didn't really do. I have to admit, part of me is nervous at the thought of speaking to Jack again. I can't stop myself from wondering if he'll even want to see me after all that's happened between us. Knowing that he hadn't really been using me and had genuine feelings for me makes the thought seem silly, but that doesn't change the way my hands shake at my sides and the way my heart pounds in my chest at the thought of talking to Jack face-to-face after everything that has conspired.

I shake my head to ward off any further thoughts, focusing on the grocery list my father made up. Right now I'm standing in the produce aisle, bagging a handful of tomatoes. I set the bag down into my cart and reach for a stick of celery, just as a woman standing a little ways down the aisle catches my eye. I recognize her long, golden-colored hair and piercing green eyes, beautiful in a way that's more regal than subtle. Jack's mother.

Before I'm able to walk off to another aisle of the store in an attempt to hide from Mrs. Crawford, she glances my way. Our gazes lock instantly, and I'm sure she recognizes me. I'm unsure what I expect to happen from here, considering Mrs. Crawford's less-than-friendly attitude toward me the first time we met. I suppose I'm expecting her to just look away, as if she hadn't seen me at all. There's no reason for her to try and strike up conversation with me, considering I'm no longer dating her son. I find myself wondering if Mrs. Crawford is even aware of my split with Jack, considering she hadn't seemed to know when we had gotten together.

With this in mind, I'm surprised to find Mrs. Crawford push her cart my way with purpose, only stopping once she has reached my side. Unintentionally, I stiffen, preparing myself for an icy encounter with my ex-boyfriend's mother. Taking me off guard, Mrs. Crawford offers me a warm smile, which I can't help but notice only adds to her beauty.

"Hi," Mrs. Crawford greets me in a light tone, tilting her head to the side and narrowing her eyes slightly as she questions, "Morgan, right?"

I'm a little startled that Jack's mother remembers my name. Too nervous to find words, I somehow manage to nod in response to Mrs. Crawford's inquiry. Clearing my throat, I force myself to say, "Uh, yeah. I'm Morgan Scott."

"I remember you," Mrs. Crawford admits with a faint smile, her green eyes gleaming. I notice that she has a very melodic voice, the sound nice in comparison to the snippy tone she had last regarded me with. "I'd like to ask if it's possible for you to disregard the first time we met, Morgan. I'd very much like to start over with you. And apologize for my behavior during our last encounter. Trust me when I say I've been kicking myself for that." Mrs. Crawford offers me a knowing smile, as if recalling the circumstances in which we first met. I take note of the way she acknowledges the fact that she'd been rude to me then, surprised that she bothers to apologize for that at all.