twenty-four

When Monday rolls around, I'm not looking forward to going to school

When Monday rolls around, I'm not looking forward to going to school. I haven't heard from Lucas since he stormed out of my driveway after I broke up with him, and I haven't heard from Jack since our kiss at the homecoming game. I don't know what to expect when I inevitably run into either of them, and I'm kind of just planning on avoiding the two.

As of right now I'm at my locker, gathering my things for first period. I notice Lacey enter the hallway as I glance up, her icy blue gaze meeting mine instantly. Lacey doesn't say a word as she breezes past me, though the intensity of her glare increases, making me wonder if Lacey is staring through me and into my soul as she flaunts by. I purse my lips as I watch her go, wondering if Jack really ended things with her or not.

Thinking the question over, I come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if Lacey and Jack split up or not. Although Jack and I have finally admitted that we like each other, it's not like we can actually be together at this time. I mean, it's definitely too soon, considering I only just parted with Luke. And I wouldn't want Luke to think that the only reason I broke up with him was to be with his cousin, as I can only imagine how it would feel for him to see me and Jack together.

I turn back to my locker, inhaling a deep breath. I wonder to myself why every aspect of my life has to be so complicated. You'd think I'd be able to catch a break at least once.

I shake my head as I close my locker, walking off with my books in hand. I keep a lookout for Lana, knowing that I'm going to have to tell her about what happened between me and Lucas sometime, so I might as well just get it over with.

As I'm walking down a mostly empty hallway, I notice a figure walking toward me from the other side of the hall. I meet the figure's light green gaze and instantly know it's Jack, which piques my curiosity. Just the sight of him has my heart racing, nervous excitement rushing through my veins. I tell myself to calm down and snap out of it, as I've already established it's going to be a while before Jack and I can ever really be a thing.

As Jack's gaze locks with mine, I raise my eyebrows at him to silently ask what's going on. Ignoring my signal, Jack merely continues to walk my way with purpose, his lips slowly breaking out into a grin as he reaches me. Standing in front of me, Jack wordlessly wraps a hand around my wrist and takes a few steps forward, leading me to an unknown destination.

"Jack?" I question, looking up at him with narrowed eyes. "Where are we going? What's—"

I don't get to finish my question, because Jack raises a finger to my lips, shushing me mid-sentence. I watch in confusion as Jack looks around the hallway as if to make sure we're all clear before turning to face the door in front of him. I watch, dumbfounded as Jack pulls a key out of his pocket and unlocks the mysterious door, discreetly pulling me into the room before shutting the door behind him quietly.

I look around, wondering what this room is. It's empty for the most part, which is a little odd. A closer look reveals that there are shelves along the walls, cluttered with dusty-looking trophies. Across the room sits a few deflated volleyballs and basketballs, along with old and broken sports equipment.