Apocalypse Part 6

Ren POV

"Ren!" I barely heard Grian's scream. At the moment I was focused on not dying by zombies.

I mean honestly. Death by zombie? Noob move right there.

Getting myself up was a bit of a struggle. I didn't want to screw up and slip. I hauled myself up too fast and went over the other side of the branch.

I could see it now.

Rendog was slain by Zombie.

Good thing the net was still there. I grabbed onto the dense rope with my hands. A zombie managed to grab onto my foot, but I shook it off.

I looked over at Grian's net. His branch was a bit lower than mine. If I could make it...

I started swinging the net, rocking it back and forth. Grian stared at me.

"Ren," the Hermit hesitated. "What are you-"

"G" I said, not taking my eyes off the branch. "Be ready to grab me."

"What are you going to-" understanding dawned in his eyes. "Ren don't do it."

I did it. The net had gained a lot of momentum. I waited once more, and when it shot towards Grian, I let go and jumped.

I was airborne for a moment. I leapt through the air, and crashed into Grian's net. His arms poked through the ropes and grabbed onto my shoulders.

I looked up at him and grinned. "Told you I could do it."

He rolled his eyes. "Idiot." He muttered.

I climbed up the side of his net, and hauled myself onto the branch. I drew my sword again. I grabbed onto the rope holding Grian's net to the tree with one hand, and started cutting it with my sword.

"If you screw this up, Mumbo and Doc are going to kill you." Grian noted.

"No" I looked down at him. "The zombies will."

"Fair enough." He muttered.

I tightened my grip on the rope as I cut the last bit of it. The net fell a bit, and the zombies clawed madly at it.

Grunting from the effort, I pulled up Grian, and soon enough Grian (though still in the net) was sitting beside me. He sighed with relief.

"That's better." He breathed. We looked down at the zombies massing below us. "So," he went on. "Can you get the net off me now?"

An idea formed in my mind. "Well" I said, suppressing a smile. "I wouldn't want to cut you lose, only to have you fall.

"So what I could do, is just drag you up the tree while I go up-"

"No. Just, no." Grian sighed.

He pulled out a small knife, and began cutting himself out. Smart guy.

Meanwhile, I looked around the forest. One tree loomed above all the others. "We should head to that tree." I told Grian. "Then we can get a better idea of where we are."

"Good idea." He agreed. We traveled by treetop, silently avoiding zombies. And little did I know then, but also avoiding a phycopathic murderer.

??? POV

I studied the remains of the net. Cut by a simple sword. Need to improve that. I thought.

A zombie approached behind me, staggering and groaning as it walked towards me. I waited for a minute until it was almost on me.

I spun around and rammed my sword into its gut. The zombie stopped and stared at me. Then it collapsed. But I wasn't done. I needed to let out my anger.

I stabbed and stabbed the zombie over and over again, hacking into it until all that was left was a mangled, bloody, hunk of meat.

I couldn't wait to do the same to the Hermits.

Grian POV

"Well," I said, looking up at the tree. "Should we climb it?"

"If you fancy breaking your neck, be my guest." Ren remarked. "But I think we're getting a good enough view here."

I saw a strong looking branch not to far up. I pointed to it. "I'll go up to there. See what I can find."

Before Ren could argue, I pointed to his hands. "And don't try to come. You already hurt yourself getting us out of the nets."

He looked at his bruised, scraped hands, stained red from blood. "Well," he said ruefully. "I'll keep watch down here." 

Satisfied, I turned my back to him and started climbing. It was easy. The tree was covered in big thick vines. The bark jutted out at different angles. It made for great handholds.

When I reached the branch, I stood up and surveyed the land. 

Behind us was the forest where Ren and I were. But on all other sides, was just barren landscape. Flat, dry, colourless fields with dried up rivers.

I sighed. Nothing useful. Or... Wait.

In one of the riverbeds. Two figures ran. One was wearing black. The other was green with a white lab coat. It was them!

"I found them!" I looked down at Ren. "I can see the-"

An arrow. It flew up faster than I could anticipate.

It embedded itself in my side with such force that I was knocked over. I got a glimpse of a figure, cloaked in black, a bow in its hand and a bloody sword at their side standing on the treetops.

I saw it for a second before I toppled over the edge of the branch and fell all the way to the forest floor.

Wow! 2 chapters in one day! Exciting!

I'll post a chapter on Doc and Mumbo tomorrow.

And make you wait to find out what happened to Grian.

I know.

 I'm evil.