seven - zola's algorithm

I sat in the backseat of the truck that we stole...I mean borrowed and took the other braid out of my hair. I like having looseness on my head, I barely ever put it up.

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha had her legs on the dash.

Dad glanced back at me, seeing I had no seatbelt on. "Hazel seatbelt on." He ordered and looked at nat. "Nazi Germany." I rolled my eyes and put on the seatbelt.

"I bet you didn't wear seatbelts back then." I muttered under my breath but he didn't hear me. I like living on the edge. Screw uncomfortable and tight seatbelts.

"And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash." He pointed at her feet.

Tasha took her feet off the dash. "Alright, I have a question for you, oh, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?" She went on.

"What?" He looked at her for a second and then put his eyes back on the road. "Was that your first kiss since 1945?" She asked and I burst out laughing. "That bad, huh?" He had one hand on the wheel. I laughed so hard tears were coming out of my eyes.

"I didn't say that." She fired back. "Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying." They started arguing. "Don't lie to nat, you haven't kissed anyone." I spoke through my laughter.

"Why do you throw me under the bus like this?" He looked back at me.

"I just wondered how much practice you've had." She smirked. "You don't need practice." He argued back. "Everybody needs practice....right hazel?" She looked at me.

"Oh uh yeah, I mean I don't know." I leaned back. "Oh come on you never kissed anyone?" She teased. I swear he almost did a 360 and looked me dead in the eye. "Yes I mean no..." I stuttered. My face all red. "No, nope no one to kiss." I stuttered.

After a few seconds of silence he spoke. "It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm ninety-five, I'm not dead." Oh sure.

"Nobody special, though?" She questioned.
Dad chuckled. "Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience."

Tell me about it, I mean I don't really care about romance, heck I'm only thirteen, technically I'm way older but I got a lot of life to live. And I missed out on so many decades. I wonder what it would be like to wake up in the eighties or nines.

"Well, that's alright, you just make something up." She gave advice. I haven't slept in almost two days, my eyes were getting heavy.

"What, like you?" He shot back.

I yawned, they carried on their conversation but I leaned my head against the window, watching cars pass and seeing the green grass all around.

I meant to shut my eyes for a second but I didn't reopen them. Sleep took over.

• • •

"Hey wake up." I opened my eyes to see my door open and dad standing there shaking me awake. I rubbed my eyes and blinked. It was a abandoned military base. But it seemed all too familiar.

"The file came from these coordinates." She held some sort of device. I hopped out and shut the car door. "So did I." We all walked around the base trying to pinpoint where the signal came from "This camp is where I was trained." He finished. I finally realized. "Hey I remember this place." I looked around. "This is where Peggy brought me when she had business to take care of." I walked up to a building a little ways away. "I think this is what we are looking for." I ran up to the door and attempted to open it.