goodbye Isobel

the vampire diaries 2x17 know thy enemy

Both Rowan and Elena sat in the back of a car both finally awake when the car came to a stop holding each other fearfully. As the door opened Isobel stood in front of it waiting for them to come out, when they didn't move an inch she said, "Just because you can't be compelled doesn't mean I can't force you to come with me."

Elena held her Rowan's hand pulling her out of the car holding her close, "So is that what happened? You were compelled to betray Katherine," Elena asked having heard the conversation she had on the phone earlier.

"If I was, I couldn't tell you," Isobel reminded as they walked.

"So you lied to us. You did find Klaus, didn't you? He knows where we are now. Are you taking us to him," Rowan pushed angered by the betrayal terrified what would happen to them.

As they came to a stop in front of a tombstone with Isobel's name Elena asked, "What is this?"

Sadly putting it Isobel explained, "My parents, your grandparents, they put it here when it became clear that the police weren't gonna find my body. They visit every week, and they bring flowers, even though there's no one buried here. The Isobel they knew is dead. So maybe there's a part of me that's buried here, the-the human part, the part that I abandoned when I-when I choose to become a vampire, the part that used to dream about the day that she'd know her daughter."

Hearing her words Elena's heart sunk asking, "What?"

Isobel shrugged, "And instead you got to meet the other part... The part that would betray her own flesh and blood." Elena's heart filled with sorrow making her grip her friends hand tighter. Breaking up the moment Isobel's phone rang and she answered, "Yes."

She paused listening to the man on the other end before questioning, "Let them go?" The girls looked at her confused as Isobel confirmed, "I'm done?"

As Isobel hun up Rowan asked, "Who was that?"

Isobel sadly told her daughter, "I'm so sorry, Elena... That I was such a disappointment to you."

Elena had tears clear in the eyes when her mother suddenly took off her necklace she screamed as she burned in the sun. "No," Elena cried trying to reach out for her mother but her friend held her in her arms fighting her own shock.

____

"Rowan," her father's voice called out coming over from the living room having heard the door open. Running up to her Connor asked, "Where were you today? You left this morning and you didn't come back."

Making up another lie Rowan answered, "Yeah, sorry about that, phone died. Elena was dealing with things with Jenna and needed me."

Her fathers worried face flattened, "A-Alright, just keep it charged kid, you had me worried

Her fathers worried face flattened, "A-Alright, just keep it charged kid, you had me worried."

A silence fell between them before he reached out of his daughter hugging her tightly. As her father held her Rowan fought with everything in her not to cry. With every passing day she was more and more afraid of never seeing him again.

As she pulled away Rowan said, "I love you, dad. You know that, right? No matter what happens."

Connor looked at his daughter slightly taken back by her affection. It wasn't uncommon for her to say she loved him it was just the way in which she had said it that set him off. "Of course I know that kid, I love you too. Is something wrong," he asked her worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Rowan lied to her fathering knowing she could never tell him what was wrong. Only able to do one thing Rowan reached out hugging her father again tighter.

Rowans outfit next chapter