○ Chapter One ○

Introductions
●●●●

Avery walks beside the eldest Salvatore brother silently, his focus being completely on the conversation he is having with Elena via phone call. She doesn't mind, if anything, it gives her time to listen and admire the beauty of the meadow they are currently walking through.

Apparently, they are meeting with Elijah over this Klaus business. Avery had met Elijah only twice before today; he was noble and polite. The perfect gentleman really. As for Klaus? She had yet to meet the ever-famous original hybrid that everyone feared and hated.

She didn't understand the reason for her needing to tag along to this little get together with Elijah. Honestly, what could the fragile little human girl do if things turned sour?

She had asked Damon multiple times with hopes of an answer but he had simply replied with "you're going to be referee" whilst wearing his signature smirk.

She often wondered how the original family could be so dysfunctional, so toxic. They had each other, wasn't that enough? Avery no longer had any blood relatives, not that they were ever good to her. Now, she resides with the Salvatore brothers; both protective over the young girl. Willing to give their lives for her, even now as Damon drags her along to meet with Elijah.

Damon comes to a stop just in front of Avery, blocking her view completely with his broad shoulders. She notices that he had ended the phone call just as they had come to a stop.

"Elijah. My favourite Original, back from the dead. You clean up nice."

Elijah sends the young girl a smile as she steps from behind Damon to stand beside him. She politely returns the gesture, her eyes only flickering to his face for a few seconds before they fall back to the ground beneath her feet. Elijah reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small crumbled note.

"You left something in my jacket pocket."

"Oh, yeah. Dear Elijah, let's get together, plot the destruction of your brother, XOXO." Damon smirks earning a stern look from Elijah, one that made it very clear that he wasn't here to play along with one of Damon's games.

"Damon..." both Avery and Elijah warn simultaneously, making a small smile appear on both their faces

"Was I right to un-dagger you or are we going to have a problem?" Damon says as he stares Elijah down and steps to the side in an attempt to protect Avery from any possible attack Elijah may have planned.

"I'm here, let's talk."

Avery smiles at the noble original before glancing to Damon as he grins devilishly.

"I'll start with an easy question. Any idea what kind of Klaus-killing weapon could be magically sealed in that mystery coffin?"

Avery watches Elijah frown in thought, clearly debating on whether to be honest with the Salvatore about what he knows.

"Our mother. Although, I do doubt that she will be of use to you in this masterplan. She is dead." Elijah explains with a shrug.

"Klaus is desperate to get that coffin back, I'm willing to guess that it has something to do with your mother being in it. Maybe, she is the key to killing Klaus. He has that coffin tightly sealed, what other reason would he need to do that?"

"Guilt? If he killed her then maybe he feels guilty for it?" Avery's voice is soft but loud enough that the two men hear her. Her innocence in all of this was becoming clear, she had no idea how cruel and cold Klaus Mikaelson could be.

"My brother feels no guilt, darling. He could kill everyone in town and still sleep peacefully the same night." Avery frowns but nods, deciding it best not to speak up again.