○ Chapter Eighteen ○

Trust In You
●●●●

Avery could see the hesitation in his eyes before any words left his lips, she could feel his concern and the flicker of excitement that had followed her suggestion that they move to New Orleans, though as expected that excitement had faded just as fast as it had appeared in him.

“Avery...” Klaus sighs and runs a hand down his face as he sits himself up against the headboard of the bed to face her properly. However his brows dip into a frown the moment he sees her deflated expression. “I want nothing more than to build a life here with you, love. I can see an eternity of happiness in this city for the both of us.”

“Then why are you gearing up to tell me no?” she asks softly whilst meeting his soft eyes.

Klaus smiles and reaches out to take her smaller hands in his larger ones, he rests them in his lap above the thin sheet before reaching out and stroking her pale cheek lightly with his thumb. “Because I want that life I see so clearly with you to be perfect.” he murmurs. “I don’t want to come here whilst on the run from my deranged mother and my brainwashed brother. I want this to be home, Avery, our home.”

Avery’s heart flutters at his confession, his words having sparked that love and joy in her - expanding and intensifying it more than she truly thought possible. He saw a life with her, a life he truly was excited to share with her. She wasn’t just some toy he was playing with whilst bored, he wasn’t just using her for some fun until he could find someone better. He cared and right in this moment she was reminded just how deeply he did for her.

So, wordlessly she dives at him with a giggle. Klaus is quick to catch her, a smile now plastered on his face even if he wasn’t completely tuned into why she was suddenly so happy after his words. Truthfully, he hoped that the idea of a long life with him was the source of her growing joy in this moment, he was tempted to peak into her mind and thoughts but then again, that would be an invasion of her privacy, right?

“You’re free to explore my mind whenever you wish to do so, Klaus. I have nothing to hide from you.”

Klaus drops his gaze to her as she sits in his lap, his arms securely wrapped around her as her emerald green eyes meet his ocean blue ones. He tilts his head and feels his lips twitch into a smirk, realising that he wasn’t the one snooping in someone’s thoughts right now. “Having fun, love?” he asks playfully with an arched brow as she sheepishly hides her face and once more giggles.

“I’m sorry, I just- you’re so fascinating to watch that I often wonder what your thinking when you look at things... specifically me. Sometimes I tap into your mind without intending to, it takes me a moment to realise I’ve done it but by that point I’m already drowning in all that your mind has to share with me.” her brows furrow in thought, guilt now replacing the previous embarrassment of being caught causing Klaus to eye her curiously – having also felt the shift in her.

“I’ve been invading your privacy, all the while you’ve been battling your desire to read my thoughts so that you wouldn’t be invading mine.” she realises.

Klaus pulls her into his side as he settles back against the mattress, already having missed the silent comfort and warmth her body offered his. He smiles as she immediately snuggles into his side whilst lazily throwing her leg and arm over him, wordlessly claiming his body as hers. Not that he minded.

“You can reach into my thoughts whenever you feel the need to do so, Avery. I told you, my mind, body and soul is yours. Do with it what you please,” he tells her softly whilst turning his head to look into her striking eyes that still leave him breathless. “I trust you.” he whispers sincerely.