○ Chapter Twelve ○

Monster
●●●●

Klaus could feel her pain. He could feel the betrayal she felt after his quick departure. He could feel it all, everything she felt was eating him up.  He wanted to go and fix it, to take away her pain and sadness, but he couldn't. He wouldn't.

"Brother?" Elijah calls out to him, concern lacing his otherwise polite tone.

Klaus glances up with a thoughtful frown. Immediately, upon seeing his brother's expression, Elijah sighs and shakes his head from his position, leaning on the door frame. "I assume you didn't hear what I just said?"

Klaus shakes his head and closes the book in his lap; the book he had failed to read over the course of the last couple of weeks. He had reread the same page more than a dozen times but his mind just simply wouldn't focus on the words on the page. Lately, he couldn't focus on anything other then her.

"It will get easier, Niklaus. She will be happy again." Elijah's words fill him with little comfort but he nods anyway.

"She hates me," he says after a silent moment, a heavy sigh following his painful words.

"No, she is angry with you. Trust me when I say that the last thing she feels towards you is hate." Elijah reassures confidently, his tone softer now.

Klaus stands and places the book back in its place on the bookshelf, having opted to ignore his brother's words of reassurance altogether as footsteps echo throughout the halls before a woman enters the room, her hips swaying seductively as she approaches him. She stops just feet away, twirling her bleach blonde hair and eyeing him hungrily. "Hey, baby." she greets with her deep blood red stained lips twisting into a suggestive smile.

Avery never needed to wear makeup to look ravishing. Her lips were perfectly irresistible without deep red lipstick. He finds himself thinking before growling at himself.

Elijah rolls his eyes at the woman's mannerisms, not the least bit fazed by her suggestive behaviour.

Meanwhile, Klaus grins devilishly and slowly moves to circle her, like a predator circling its prey. He stops just in front of her slim figure and leans close - compelling her. "Be afraid. Run." he instructs in a low whisper.

Almost immediately, her breathing quickens and her eyes glass over with tears, her body trembles in fear and then she takes off out the room screaming for help. Elijah shakes his head and studies his brother, he didn't like where this was going. The woman was easy and unappealing, but that didn't mean she deserved to be killed for it. She didn't deserve to suffer Klaus's wrath. Especially now whilst he was hurting more than he ever had before.

"Niklaus," he tries only to be cut off.

"Don't waste your energy, brother. I need to let off some steam." and with that Klaus is gone from sight and a blood curdling scream fills the halls. Elijah sighs and drops his head in shame for his brothers actions. He could've and should've stopped him, but he hadn't.

"I'm sorry," he whispers.

●●●●

Damon lays beside her, his arm wrapped loosely around her waist as she rests against his chest. Her soft snores are almost enough to make him doze himself. The room is calm and silent, peaceful even.

He concluded after Avery's breakdown that he truly and wholeheartedly hated Klaus. Despised him more than he ever had before. He wanted the hybrid to suffer, to feel the pain he had left her with. He didn't deserve her love, he didn't deserve her. Leaving was cruel, but leaving without so much as a goodbye or explanation? Well, that was just cowardly.