○ Chapter Seven ○

Trapped
●●●●

Two days.

That's how long Avery had been unconscious, her body remained limp and unmoving. To most she would appear to be dead, but Klaus could still hear her heart beating, its uneven rhythm left him even more anxious than he already was.

He had yet to leave her side, in fact he hadn't moved from his position on the armchair beside the bed in fear that he wouldn't be here for when she awoke, if she ever did wake up. His hand had remained holding hers, even when the Salvatores had come to see her, neither were happy to leave her with Klaus, but both knew better than to fight with him on the matter. They could see he was affected by her current state, the tired look in his eyes told them that.

Klaus only moved from his seated position beside her at night, he would climb in his bed beside her, holding on to her as though she would suddenly vanish. He felt lost and empty, something within him was missing. He already missed her smile, the way her eyes lit up whenever she laid eyes on him, or the way her heart raced in his presence.

She made him feel human, those little things about her made his darkness fade as her light shone through. His demons were silenced in her company; she was his bright light and at the moment her light was dimming quickly.

"How is she, brother?"

"I thought you had fled by now."

"Not without knowing she is okay. She was near the ritual because of me." Klaus frowns, he knew that it was his own actions that had led to her being involved that night with Esther. He should never have pursued her in any way, nor should he have brought her near Esther that night after rescuing her.

"She is breathing. Barely."

"I have invited a friend to come help her."

"I don't need another useless vampire, Elijah." Klaus stands and leans against the window with annoyance.

"She is a well known witch, very powerful. If anyone can help, it is her." Klaus thinks over his brothers words before nodding silently. Elijah steps forward and hands Klaus a blood bag, he knew his brother hadn't been feeding. He steps back as he hears a knock on the front door, loud enough for the both of them to glance in the direction before he personally leaves to greet the witch.

Klaus glances to Avery in the bed, she was pale and sickly looking. She was a shell of the beautiful woman he had met a week ago. He missed the caring, somewhat fiery woman he had spent time with.

"Niklaus, this is Dana."

"Can you help her?" he breathes and turns to the woman with a skeptical gaze, she didn't look like much. She was old and petite, hardly the picture of power and hope.

"I will do my best. Elijah has filled me in on what happened."

Elijah smiles politely as he gestures towards Avery. Dana nods as she approaches the bed slowly, she could feel the power radiating from the young girls body, it was beyond anything she had encountered before. The power she felt was something she feared, something not to be messed with.

She shakily reaches forward and takes Avery's cold hand in her own, she closes her eyes as the brothers watch silently. Klaus takes a protective step closer to the two women, he wasn't naive enough to trust this witch, even if Elijah did.

Dana gasps loudly as she steps back fearfully, her grip on Avery's hand slipping away. Klaus and Elijah share a concerned glance before they look back to the frightened woman before them.

"What is it, Dana?"

"She is too powerful. It was too much for her, all that power, it nearly killed her." Klaus frowns deeply at her words, he didn't understand. Dana sighs as she sees their confused expressions.