○ Chapter Fifteen ○

The Good, The Bad and Definitely The Ugly
●●●●

Avery's heart sinks, filled with guilt. Klaus steps forward only to stop when she rushes out, nowhere in sight. She had left feeling completely conflicted over what to do. Stefan sighs. He knew Damon would take it the hardest, after all, he and Avery were closer than close. They had been through a lot together, constantly beside each other through their individual struggles, there was a deep love there, an unbreakable bond they had formed through the years. A bond even Stefan found himself stunned by, their devotion to one another was pure and real. They were family, through and through.

Klaus turns to Stefan and his siblings, "I know where she is," he calmly tells then to which Stefan nods, understanding the meaning behind his words. "I'll wait here till you get back, I want to be able to say goodbye." Klaus nods and without another word, he leaves to be by her side.

He finds Avery on a mountain, staring out at the world below them. Her back was to him, shoulders tense and her hair waving in the wind. "Avery?" he takes a cautious step closer to her. She turns to look at him with tears streaming down her reddening cheeks, her eyes puffy and her arms wrapped around herself for comfort. She looked utterly broken, more now than he had ever seen her before. "I don't know what to do," she admits through a sniffle.

He watches her with understanding and loving eyes, only wanting to make all this easier on her. Damon's words and actions had affected her deeply, never before had he spoken or looked at her the way he had moments ago. He had always been so warm to her, so loving in his own Damon way. When he looked at her it was only with care and understanding, she had never seen him look at her with the betrayal and judgement he had moments ago. It hurt her. His words had cut her to her core because she truly wasn't trying to choose death over him or Stefan, or even Klaus. She had her reasons for not wanting to be a vampire, but right now those reasons seemed silly. She didn't want to be a vampire, but she didn't want to die either.

She truly felt conflicted.

"I need to explain myself to you," Klaus's voice cuts off her train of thought. She looks at him once more and shakes her head softly, "no you don't-" he cuts her off, feeling the urge to give her the explanation she had deserved all this time.

"Yes, I do, you need to hear it." he takes a deep breath, as does Avery, both preparing for what he was about to tell her. "Two days, that's how long you were trapped in your mind for after the ritual. After you unleashed your powers. It was hell, a hell I don't wish to dwell on." he stares out at the world below with a frown.

"Avery, you almost died. Your heartbeat was barely there. Kol and Rebekah had fled quickly that night in fear of our mother. They both had called at some point in those two days to inform me that our mother was hunting us and that she thought you had died. Finn had saw you unconscious and couldn't hear your heartbeat, he thought you had died and had told our mother." his hands tremble as he thinks back, he feels her warm hand wrap around his own. He turns his head to look at her as she offers him a smile, a soft, understanding smile.

"I didn't die though," she tells him softly.

"No, but Esther and Finn thought you had. I knew that the only way that I could protect you was to leave Mystic Falls, to leave you. That way they would never go there and find you alive and well. I needed to keep them away from you. But I needed one last night, one night to just be with you, alone. A selfish night where I'd get you to myself." he sighs and shakes his head, "I didn't leave you because I wanted to, I left to protect you. I told the others to leave Mystic Falls and never return, I told them to cut all ties with you."

Avery frowns in thought, processing all this new information. "Why didn't you say goodbye?" Klaus nods, expecting the question. He knew she had already forgiven him; he could feel it. He could feel her gratitude and love for him in this moment. She understood and respected his reasons for leaving.