○ Chapter Five ○

Broken Promises
●●●●

"Hello, Avery Winters."

Avery's nerves grew at the calmness of Esther's voice, it was eerie. Her hands were claming up and her mind wouldn't focus. "How do you know my name?" her voice is confident as she eyes Esther, who still remains stood in front of a small desk with her back to the young girl.

"I know a lot of things, I've been on the other side for a thousand years. There is nothing but time, time to watch the world of the living go by."

"Why did you request to speak with me, Esther?" Avery's voice remains polite and calm, an unintentional strength to it.

Esther turns to face the girl with a small smile, a smile that leaves Avery debating whether to run back to Klaus.

Esther was eyeing her, she was making sure that she had the right girl. It made sense, the feeling of power she felt from the human was unlike anything she had ever experienced. She could see the way the girl looked at Niklaus when she thought he wasn't looking; the two were growing close as each minute and day passed. Which was something Esther couldn't allow, it was something she wouldn't allow, no matter what it cost her.

"I need you to stay away from my children, particularly Niklaus"

"Excuse me?" Avery's eyebrows furrow in confusion. What had she done wrong?

"You will stay away from my children or I will be forced to make you. I will not have them hurt another human, even one who brings out something I haven't seen in my son in a long time." Esther thinks back to the look of pure admiration and care she had saw Klaus give Avery whenever he saw her.

"What have I done wrong for you to despise me so much? I have done nothing but respect you and your children from the moment I met you all." Avery couldn't understand, she simply thought the mother was being too protective over her children.

"My children do not respect human life. You are nothing more than a toy for my son, and when he eventually gets bored, which he will, you will be killed. You're nothing more than a pretty face, something for Klaus to conquer. Don't be fooled by his charm, Avery. He has had a thousand years to perfect it." Esther's voice was void of emotion, her eyes were empty of anything leaving Avery to think over her words carefully.

Esther watches the human, she could see that her words had taken some effect on the girl. Esther felt somewhat guilty for clearing upsetting the girl with lies of Klaus's intentions with her. Neither Avery nor Klaus were to learn of their destiny or the meaning behind their deep rooted connection.

Avery felt a twinge in her heart; she was upset. Esther's words hurt her deeply because deep down she knew that it could be true. Klaus was known for being cold and heartless, with no respect for any life. She couldn't deny the closeness she felt to him over the few days she had known him, she felt a magnetic pull to him, he was all that filled her with excitement. Now, it was gone. A deep abyss of disappointment and sadness left behind.

"Okay," Avery mumbles as her heart swells with sadness. "I wont go near him again, I promise." she nods softly to the ancient witch opposite her.

"Thank you. It's for the best, Avery."

She nods silently as her gaze remains on the floor, "I'd like to leave now." Esther nods with a sad smile. Avery opens the door with a sigh, pausing to say something to the older woman from over her shoulder. "Don't let him down, Esther. He needs you. He won't admit it because its Klaus, but he needs his mother." Esther watches the girl leave, feeling conflict over the words she had left the witch with.