○ Chapter Six ○

Soulmates
●●●●

Avery wakes up alone in the bed; the warmth she had felt last night was gone and in its place was an empty, cold space on the mattress. She hadn't expected him to have been here when she awoke but she had hoped he would have.

With a sigh she gets up and showers before getting dressed and ready for the day ahead.  She makes her way downstairs to pour herself a much needed cup of strong coffee, knowing full well that there was no way she'd survive another day in this town without it.

Once she has her coffee poured and has picked a book to spend her day reading, she heads to the living room, fully intending to relax for a couple of hours.

"So, let's not make a big deal out of this." an unfamiliar voice rings out. So, naturally she nearly chokes on her coffee as she watches a shirtless Damon and a dishevelled Rebekah - who is still wearing her ball gown - walk towards the front door.

The couple hear her and almost immediately Avery smiles sheepishly and waves, her cheeks blushing with rising embarrassment. Rebekah eyes her curiously, knowing exactly who the young human girl is.

"My thoughts exactly," Damon responds without bothering to fully acknowledge his adopted younger sibling.

"Besides, I expect you'll come calling soon enough." Rebekah remarks with a smug smile.

"Let's not hold our breath."

Avery can't hold her amusement, she bursts out laughing as Damon opens the door only to be greeted by Elena, the doppleganger's eyes widening in shock at the two. Rebekah sends a playful wink to Avery before leaving, feeling just as amused with the situation as Ava clearly was.

Elena follows Damon into the home with a look that Avery can only describe as jealousy. She sends Damon a smirk and wink before sitting down and waiting for Elena's outburst.

"Did you stop taking your vervain?"

"You think Rebekah had to compel me?"

Avery holds her tongue as she watches the two, she was still angry with Elena. She hated how the girl immediately expected Damon and Stefan to commit only to her and no one else, especially since she hadn't decided who she wanted yet. They were people, not puppets she could control.

"What's wrong with you? She tried to kill me less than forty eight hours ago."

"Too bad Elijah stepped in," Avery mutters earning herself a glare from Elena. Though, she simply smirks at the Doppelganger before returning to her reading.

"Can we just move pass that, Elena?" Damon begins to pour himself a drink as Elena speaks.

"So is that how it's going to be now? I hurt your feelings and this is how you lash out at me?" he turns to face Elena with a bored expression, no emotion in his eyes.

"Well, maybe, for once, something I did had nothing to do with you." he shrugs before holding up his glass of bourbon and drinking it.

"Amen to that!" Avery raises her hands in the air mockingly and as if on cue Elena roll her eyes.

"You should know that Esther is planning on killing her entire family. She's linked them all together with a spell. Whatever happens to one, happens to all of them." Elena informs Damon, her arms moving to fold over her chest.

Avery's heart drops at the new information, she was angry and worried. She couldn't let Esther kill them, they didn't deserve to die at the hands of their mother. Avery couldn't believe that Esther's real intention was to kill them all, to kill her own children. But if that was her intentions, then why was she so determined to separate Avery and Klaus? Nothing made sense.