○ Chapter Eight ○

Hope
●●●●

Avery frowns at her reflection as she stands in Klaus's bathroom. Her hair looked awful, and her eyes were surrounded by dark circles. She looked half dead and that was simply unacceptable in the company of the most feared vampire alive.

With a soft sigh she undresses herself and steps in the shower, enjoying the warm water that washes over her. The tension she had felt moments ago vanished as she succumbed to the warmth the water provided her with.

She couldn't remember the last time she felt this relaxed, but nonetheless she was enjoying it.

She finishes washing herself and steps out the shower, wrapping a towel around herself. She dries herself and changes into a simple pair of black Jean's and a white shirt with a black leather jacket. She decides to leave her hair down freely after running her comb through it.

She pulls black ankle boots on and heads downstairs to meet up with Klaus. She was nervous, scared that he had changed his mind about taking her out. That he would realise that she was nothing special and throw her away just like every other person she had cared for had.

She wondered why he showed her such care, sure they were supposed soulmates but that didn't immediately leave him obliged to care for her.

She stops just outside the living room doorway, hearing two voices coming from within. One belonged to Klaus, whilst the other sounded like Elijah, though she couldn't be sure.

"Do you think its wise to take her out tonight? She may still feel weak, brother."

She hears Klaus sigh, and so she curiously presses herself closer to the door. "She is stronger than you think. She deserves a night to enjoy herself, she has been through enough."

She smiles at his words, she could hear how much he cared just in the way he spoke. It warmed her heart to know that the man she had been willing to break a promise for, the man she was willing to throw everything away for also cared for her in some way.

"What are your intentions with her?"

"What are you insinuating, brother?"

"I have my concerns and reservations about the two of you spending time together." Avery frowns at those words, she thought that Elijah trusted Klaus.

She couldn't understand why everyone always just expected the worst from Klaus. Could they not see what she could see in him, he was good deep down. She had a suspicion that his family's lack of faith in him was part of the problem. He lashed out because everyone expected it.

"Well, lucky for us you have no say in what we do. So, go worry elsewhere." Klaus says rather bluntly before she hears him approach the door, her heart rate quickens as she freezes.

"I am aware that you care deeply for her, I see it when you look at her, even the mere mention of her name makes your eyes light up. But caring has never stopped you from destroying something in the past, In fact it is almost always those you care for that suffer the most." Klaus falters in his movements as his eyes fall to the floor.

Elijah's words cut through him, mainly because there was some truth to them. He had always took out his anger and pain on those he loved and cared for.

On the other side of the door Avery was frowning deeply, she could only imagine how much Elijah had upset Klaus. She tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear and sighs sadly.

Klaus hears her sigh making him stand taller and smile, "not this time, Avery is different and I'll be damned if I ever let anyone hurt her." he turns to face his brother momentarily, "myself included."

Elijah meets his brothers strong gaze, looking for any sign of deceit but found none. He nods curtly before seating himself in an armchair with a book.

"Have fun, brother."

Klaus smiles and opens the door before stepping out. His smile widens as he notices that she was stood just a few feet away, making no attempt at hiding her presence.

She smiles softly, she steps towards him and takes his hand making his brows furrow in curiosity.

"I don't care what anyone else thinks, as long as we enjoy each others company and care for one another, then that's what matters to me." she kisses his cheek and blushes.

He offers her his arm with a boyish grin,"shall we?" she links her arm through his and nods eagerly, "we shall."

Elijah watches the two leave the residence, his eyes were fixed on their faces. Both looked happy, both wore the same look he had seen many times before.

The intensity between Avery and Klaus had been strong from the start. He just hoped that all would work out because for once, he saw hope for his brothers redemption. All that hope was placed in a single woman, the only woman that could connect with Klaus on all levels.

His soulmate, Avery.

******