○ Chapter Fourteen ○

Family
●●●●

The room is silent, empty. She could hear voices, five to be exact. All sounding angy and upset. She hurt emotionally; the pain and anguish she felt was unlike anything she had felt before, yet it didn't feel like pain that belonged to her. Her body felt different, she feels different; stronger.

A moment passes and then with a gasp she sits upright, eyes wide and a hand flinging to her chest. The room is indeed empty, she's alone. The shouting down the hall continues, louder to her ears now, clearer for her to hear. Almost as though they are in the room with her. "You're the reason she is dead! This is your fault!" the voice is cold, harsh and filled with anguish. She frowns at his words, who were they talking about? Her eyes find the mirror opposite her and the moment they do, another gasp leaves her lips at the relection that stares back at her. Blood; she's covered in it. Her mouth is surrounded by blood, the blood of another person. She honestly looked dead in the blood stained clothes, what had happened?

She tries to remember, it takes a moment. Then its comes back, hitting her like a ton of bricks, she had been dying, on the very brink of death. Had she actually died?

Klaus had been heartbroken, the broken look in his eyes left her hurting. She only wanted joy and happiness for him. The last thing she wants is to make him hurt in anyway, or to be the cause for any of his tears. She needs to see him, she wants to.

"I swear, if its the last thing I do, I will kill you!" Damon shouts with fury. A commotion can be heard, Damon had charged at Klaus but Elijah had quickly intercepted him. Stefan charges at him but is taken down by Rebekah, she pins him to the wall with tears in her eyes. Could they not see that the original family were just as heartbroken and pained by Avery's death?

"He didn't want this. Can't you see he is suffering enough. There has been enough death here, no need to create more. I am sorry for all our loss, but the last thing she would want is for us all to be at eachother's throats." she smiles at Elijah's words. He was right, speaking sense into everyone, as usual.

She climbs off the bed she had been laid on and stands tall, stretching. She feels an unfamiliar hunger, stronger senses, everything felt heightened, different. She could feel something, or rather someone poking around in her thoughts. She takes a shot in the dark and calls for him in her head, hoping to prove that she wasn't in fact losing her mind. Klaus?

Klaus turns his head to look out into the hall with furrowed brows, had he heard right? I'm being silly. There it was, again, her voice in his head. But it couldn't be, could it? He stands abruptly, catching all eyes in the room, his tears still ever present on his cheeks. Then he speeds out of the room at lightening speed, faster than he had ever moved before. He stops in the doorway of his bedroom and stares in disbelief at the woman stood staring right back at him with the same, soft green eyes. The woman he had fallen for, the woman he had thought was dead.

"Avery?" he whispers in disbelief. She smiles wide and nods, then in the blink of an eye she has her arms wrapped around him and her head is resting against his chest, above his heart. His body freezes, still consumed by shock. Her grip around him tightens slightly which helps snap him out of it, he tilts her head up to look him in the eye again, only inches apart.

"My love," he breathes whilst smiling through tears then he leans down to kiss her softly, pouring all his passion into it. She smiles into the kiss and melts into him, allowing herself to savour the double amount of emotions she feels. Her mind races with happy thoughts; his thoughts.

Finally she pulls back and jumps, behind the two of them is another four shocked faces, staring at her in disbelief and relief. Before she can stop herself she jumps into Damon's arms, crying. He catches her, wrapping his arms around her tightly, afraid to let go in fear of her disappearing on him again. He squeezes tightly, and lets a small smile fall on his lips. Stefan smiles as she embraces him, though it is one of conflict. She knows what is happening to her, she wasn't stupid, she was aware that she was in transition. Stefan hadn't wanted this for her, he had wanted a normal, happy human life for her not an eternity as a vampire. She takes her time embracing Rebekah, she could feel her shaking. Rebekah needed this, and Avery was happy to give it to her.