i. chapter one

i. chapter one

i was good on my own, that's the way it was
that's the way it was.

i was good on my own, that's the way it wasthat's the way it was

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

PENELOPE WHITMORE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT when her mom told her they'd be moving to the city of Forks, Washington. She knew that her uncle Charlie and her cousin, Isabella, both lived there but Penelope didn't see the point of moving to such a dreary city. Of course, she'd had fond memories growing up when she'd visit her uncle in Forks, it's just that they had a nice life in Arizona.

Moving to Washington meant that she'd have no friends - except Isabella, but Penelope didn't know if they could really class each other as friends. They were just cousins who hung out because they had to. She'd be leaving all her 'real' friends behind and she doubted they'd even bother to stay in touch with her. Most of all, she simply didn't want to leave. Arizona was her home.

But, regardless, Penelope did as she was told and packed her things. Despite not having any of her friends with her - she'd at least have her ginger tabby cat, Matilda. Matilda - or sometimes just Tilly - had joined the family when Penelope was only 11 years old and was obsessed with the movie Matilda.

When Penelope and her mother, Bianca, arrived in Forks, it wasn't exactly the nicest time of day. The sky looked dull and bland, a blank canvas waiting for the sun to paint some colour onto it. However, the joyous look on Penelope's mom's face when she saw her brother, Charlie, immediately erased all of Penelope's negative thoughts. She'd do anything for her mom. It had always been those two; Mother and daughter. Considering her dad died when she was really young, she never knew any different. Whenever anyone would find out, they'd utter their apologies and condolences but the truth was Penelope couldn't even remember him. It was sad, really, but she guessed it spared her the pain.

This was one of the reasons why Bianca Whitmore had wanted to move away. She wanted to start fresh — their old house only gave her painful memories and made Bianca's heartbreak all over again when she'd wake up without her late husband. Even after all of those years, it still hurt. And besides, she missed her brother and her home-town.

"Heya, sport!" Penelope grimaced at the nickname her uncle gave her, as he scruffed her hair up in one swift movement. Charlie Swan certainly had a thing for picking the most embarrassing nicknames.

Chuckling in response to his greeting, Penelope replied, "I told you to stop calling me that!" She smacked his hand away from her head, causing Charlie to snicker. "How are you doing, Charlie?"

While Charlie answered, Penelope noticed her cousin Isabella leaving the house and making their way towards them.

Bianca, the first to notice, called out, "Hey, Bella! Your coolest aunt in the world is here!" Penelope cringed inwardly, watching Bella's awkward smile as she waved.