viii. chapter eight

viii. chapter eight

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

DREAMING BECAME DIFFICULT, A STRUGGLE EVEN. She couldn't get her thoughts to shut the hell up. Tossing and turning in bed, pillows askew and her mind trying to comprehend a thousand things at once. That man - that vampire, Laurent, plagued her at every waking hour. The way he looked at her and Bella, that darkness that Penelope felt rooted deep within his soul. And Victoria, whom Penelope didn't know but she did not even want the chance to learn about.

After that long, hectic and exhausting day, Penelope wanted to know everything that Bella had hidden for over a year. And so, Penelope told her mom that she'd be sleeping at her cousin's house - a 'girls night', she had said. Bianca found the concept a little out of the ordinary but was happy to oblige after hearing about their run-in with giant wolves. She and Charlie were, at first, a little sceptical but it was ultimately decided that Charlie, Harry Clearwater and the others would go and investigate their sighting - despite Harry's initial suspiciously bashfulness toward the subject.

Long after Charlie had left the house, Bella had recounted last year's events to Penelope, detailing about James, a tracker vampire, and his obsessive hunt for Bella after he and his coven caught her with the Cullens. That's another thing Penelope learned - that they all have their own gift. She found it sick and ironic in a way - you're forced to live forever, to never age, but you develop a special talent. A reward, one might say.

Penelope had questioned Laurent's words - 'an eye for an eye' and 'mate'. Turns out, James bit Bella. Pen's jaw went slack at the sight of the teeth-shaped scar on Bella's wrist. "How the hell have you been hiding that?" Afterwards, he was obviously destroyed by Edward and the rest by Jasper and Emmett. Victoria was furious, lustful for revenge as James had been her mate, apparently - whatever that meant exactly. However, Penelope knew it was deadly serious, Victoria being willing to kill to avenge her mate.

Everything simply made Pen's head spin. This was an entire world that she had never known about - until it fell into her lap accidentally and changed her life catastrophically. She didn't know how to handle any of it. She decided she'd have to become much more cautious, dodging dripping roof ledges and always carrying an umbrella on her at all times - just in case. She couldn't go swimming anymore - breaking her heart in many ways as now she longed more than ever to be in that tranquil, captivating sea. It would also hurt so so much to even imagine turning down her friends if they'd ever ask to go or if they asked to see her on a rainy night. "I can't," she'd have to say, gaze fixtured to her hands in her lap, "I have to go to this family dinner tonight." Something along those lines, some excuse would have to be made in order to keep her secret locked away with the key discarded.

Deeper in the depths of her scrambled thoughts, Penelope didn't know what to make of the way Jacob was acting. He himself had told her how he felt about Sam Uley and his gang, none of it made sense as to why he was suddenly hanging out with them and had abandoned Quil. She remembered how Embry stood among the boys that had took Jacob away from his friends and normal life, leaving Quil behind.