vi. chapter six

vi. chapter six

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

WEEKS HAD PASSED SINCE THE CULLENS' DISAPPEARANCE and Penelope continuously observed as her cousin became more and more distant, drifting away from everybody in her grief. Bella had denied all of Penny's offers; to go shopping together, to take a walk or even just to sit with her at lunch. Pen had even suggested going to see Jacob, knowing how close they were. Nothing worked, the older girl strived to isolate herself and refused to speak to anybody, not even her dad.

Ever since Bella was found unconscious in the woods, Penelope had noticed how she appeared paler than usual, sickly and as though her heart had been shattered into a thousand tiny pieces and scattered across the forest floor that day. The girl was plagued by nightmares, according to uncle Charlie. And Pen knew that the one person who could fix this was Edward, but there was nothing to be done. 

Penelope felt completely and utterly useless.

On a Saturday morning, she woke up thanks to Tilly pawing at her face in boredom, Penelope groggily ventured downstairs after getting dressed. "Oh! G'morning, sweetie," Bianca travelled across the room, handing her only daughter a nice warm cup of tea, "We're going to Billy Black's house, soon." The notion brought a smile to Pen's face, which had been Bianca's goal. She knew she'd been feeling down about her failed efforts with Bella, "Jacob will be there, too, so don't worry about being the only young person there!" She laughed teasingly.

"Mom," Penelope whined jokingly, though she still beamed and chugged down her tea like it was an Olympic sport. As an after-thought she added, "Hey, why don't we ask Charlie if Bella wants to come?" Bella had still been distant, electing to stay in her room rather than go out with anybody. But she hadn't seen her in a while, so, hopefully, Bella had been feeling better. If only things could go back to the way they were when they were still children. The three used to love playing together, alongside other children such as Seth and Leah Clearwater. Though, Penelope didn't remember much - her happy memories became muddled and clouded after the death of her father.

"I already did, I called him earlier," Her mother responded with a sigh, dampening the mood slightly, "But! Charlie said she's going out tonight anyway, with one of her friends. Jessica, I think?"

Oh. "That's good then, I'm really worried about her." Hopefully, this is a turn for the good, Penelope thought to herself. For now, she'd try to push it from her mind to enjoy this day.

"I know you are, sweetie," Her mom rubbed Pen's arm before scruffing up her hair, "Now, let's get ready to go."

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

The Black's house was exactly how it used to be, Pen didn't even think she remembered it until they walked in. She was surprised when she received two big hugs from both Billy and Jacob, knowing Billy wasn't one to show big acts of emotion like that.