Just old stories

"Come on sweetie, I promise that it'll be great!" Said the old man, while driving and trying not to get his eyes out of the road, with a lot of positivity in his voice.

"What part of it is going to be great? The fact that we all will be stuck in a fucking island or that there are only old people and stuff there with no signal?" The red-haired girl asked her father with sarcasm.

"Heltinne! Watch your mouth when you're talking to your parents!" Her mother demanded, a little outraged. "And quit complaining! We're just moving to a great place... And it's not an island."

"Yeah, whatever."

  Heltinne is a teenager girl, that is just moving to an island in Scotland. As every pre-teenager with "moving issues", she's not dealing well with all this situation.

  She lived in NY, she had grown there and she loved there, her life was perfect. Well, until one day her parents had put her on a Scottish class, but since her life was so good, she didn't even care about it. Past some months, she was almost fluent, that's when the disaster, as she likes to call it, started.

  Her parents, Arthur, a tall man with red hair and green eyes, and Iris, a small and chubby woman with blond hair and brown eyes, decided to move to Norway because of a job offer to her mother. Her mother is an artist that paints landscapes, her company wants her to paint the beautiful landscapes of Norway. The company was so positive about it that even paid the costs of the trip.

   They must be really desperate to send my mom here and to pay this all. Heltinne thought with herself while looking through the window.

  They had already made the airplane trip and now they're on a car trip to the little community. All of the family together. Her mother was sketching some trees, preparing herself to paint the landscapes, her father was driving and singing a song for himself and she was... Looking at the window, listening to rock with an expression of hate in her face. Not long have passed and she already sees some houses as the car passes by them.

That means that we're getting close to it

That means that we're getting close to it... Ugh. Well, bye-bye wifi.

------
  20 minutes have passed, they now are in front of a house. Arthur is getting all bags out of the car while Iris is talking to a person inside the house.

  I think it is some kind of hotel... But why it looks like a fricking Viking house?... Maybe it's thematic? Heh, yeah, thematic like the rest of the village. The girl was discussing with herself mentally, as every normal person does when she was interrupted by the voice of her mother calling her.

"Hel, come here!"

  The redhead came in the direction of her mother. "What is it?" "I want you to meet Eldre, she's the hostess," Iris says showing the girl an old and small woman, dressed in what looks like a fur dress.

"Oh! So cute!" Eldre says, looking at Heltinne.
"Thanks!" Heltine replied with a fake smile on her face. She hated being there, but she couldn't be rude to elders just because of that.

"Come! I'll show you your rooms." The woman smiled and started walking towards a ladder. The family followed her, the father was struggling with all the baggage, but he did it. Eldre guided them to their rooms, yes, there were two, one for the parents and one for the girl.

Why does this place smell like a farm? And why is my bed made of... HAY?!

"Um...Eldre? Miss Eldre, I don't really think this is my room..." Hel talks, trying not to puke because of the smell.

"Why's that Miss?" The woman asks Heltinne with a pure smile on her face.

"Uhh... Because it is too beautiful! Hehe..." Jesus, I can't complain about her, she looks like that sweet old grandma from the movies! So innocent...

"Oh! Such a sweet child!" Eldre says as she leaves the room, leaving Heltinne and her bags.

  The teenager looks around her room, just to see a dead rat close to the wardrobe. "I have to get out of here..." She immediately changes her clothes to something warmer. A blue sweater, a yellow jacket, long jeans, and a pair of green sneakers.

  She goes down just to see her mother and father close to some kids and an old man. The man was seated on a chair, it looks like he is telling a story to the children. The girl came closer to hear it.

"...There were dragons a long time ago. Some say that there were great, grim sky dragons that nested on the clifftops like gigantic, scary birds. Little brown scuttly dragons that hunted down the mice and rats in well-organized packs. Preposterously huge sea dragons that were 20 times as big as the big blue whale. Some say they crawled back into the sea, leaving not a bone nor a fang for men to remember them. But some of them weren't this cautious..."

"How do you know it?" A kid asked.

  The old man got closer to the kid and said with a smile: "Well, I saw one with my own eyes! He was big! Bigger than a bear! He had the sharpest teeth I've ever seen! Sharper than an ax! He had a long red feathered crest and the sharpest claws--"

"That's a lie."

  Everyone stooped and looked at Heltinne. She said that with a cold voice and giving a death glare to the old man.

"Excuse me, but how do you know exactly if it's a lie?" The man asked.

"Well, dragons don't exist."

"And how you know th--"

"Science." Heltinne didn't even let he finish his phrase. "You shouldn't teach these kids lies."

"HELTINNE!!" The girl jumps at the call. She forgot her parents were there.

------

Author's note:

  Hello there! I'm the author of this book! (Obviously) I'm here to say that this is my first time writing something like this, so if you find any grammar errors or have an idea of what to put in the book, tell me! I'm not exactly what you can call writer. And English isn't my first language either.

  Oh! And don't worry about the art here, it's all my work!