Goodbye Beta

Lucinda pov

I never went up to my bedroom, I went straight to my office after I left the cells. Oliver was with me while River was sorting out the patrol. I calmed down and I was really deflated. How can somebody you trust just stab you in the back but it's not just me, it's the pack also? "Ollie?"

"Yes, Lucie."

"I want you to be presented as Beta to the pack after he is taken care of. I know River doesn't want it and you are most loyal and trustworthy to the pack and to me. What do you say?"

"I-I don't know what to say."

"Please say yes. Even the King says you would be a great Beta for the pack." I smiled at that statement.

"Well, I will be delighted to be your Beta."

"Wonderful," I say with a clap. A knock on the door was sounded. I told them to come in and Abigail walked in. Great but I did call her to be here. "Abigail take a seat". I offered.

"Thank you, Alpha. Why am I here at this late hour?" Asks while taking the other vacant seat in front of my desk.

"I don't know how to say this but Devon is going to be publicly killed tomorrow for betraying the pack, letting rouges in and killing my parents because he wanted to be top dog here." Her face dropped and tears formed in her eyes.

"No No, He wouldn't do that. He wouldn't risk our child not growing up without a father." She sob. Oliver gave her a tissue and tried to comfort her.

"I'm also guessing you felt the Beta power slip from you?", she nodded to this, " You can be a normal pack member now. You know nothing about him talking to rouges about killing the Alpha family?" She sniffled and quietly said no. "You can spend time with him until he is taken at noon, Oliver will take you to see him and then tell the guards to keep a close eye on you. They do not listen to him as he is not in power. Then Ollie, get to bed for a few hours, we have a long day tomorrow or well today." He nodded and ushered Abigail from the office. When they left, I stood and left my office to head to my bedroom. May as well get to sleep. 

When I felt the sun on my eyelids, I knew it was time to get up and sort things out for today. It should have been an easy day for me. Say goodbye to the King and get on with pack things. But no I have to sort things out for Devon, make Oliver beta, make sure the King gets off the land safely, then deal to find a gamma to replace Oliver before I even start the pack paperwork for today and for what I didn't get done yesterday. I got up and did my daily routine and left to get a very quick breakfast.

In the kitchen, Grace whips up a pancake for me and I take that to my office. I get started to sort everything out for the day. During it, Oliver and River come and go with things that need doing. Oliver was getting the preparations for the public death ready and for River to see to his usual stuff that he does.

Time flew quickly, I looked at the time and it was 11:30. I finished my work from yesterday and got a start on today. I had to send out a pack link about the event today. 'All White Rose Wolves listen. Everyone who is at the respectable age of 16 and over needs to report to the ground that is behind the packhouse in 15 minutes.' I didn't wait for responders so closed the pack link and headed to the back of the packhouse. There was the stage set of where he will be killed with a silver sword to the heart or to beheaded.

By the stage, I saw Zaliver just standing and watching the going on. I walked up to him and he noticed my presence. I seem to get butterflies when I reach him. "Has Carlos said his goodbyes to him?" I had to ask because I know he's not a good person but its family.

"I went with him this morning, so I could watch him. They had a short convo. Did his mate stay there all night?"

"Yeah, I let her. She's good but she deserves better. She may move on for her baby sake. Hopefully, she doesn't tell the baby about the wrongdoing of its father." He chuckled at his. "Anything said between them, I know you would listen to their last words".

"Nothing really out of the ordinary, he didn't want to stay long." I nodded, they weren't close because of duties to packs but they were the only family they have left. But that's to my knowledge.

"I better get ready, this is going to be interesting." I wandered into the stage to see my pack watching and waiting for it what's happening. Zaliver had taken a stand next to Carlos on stage which was on my right as a bit behind me. Oliver was on my left and River was with Devon, behind the stage. I whispered to Oliver, "Is everything ready?"

"Yeah. All those who are meant to be here are here. Good luck." I nodded and took a deep breath. I held my hand up to the pack and all the chatter and gossiping had died down.

"Fellow pack members. Thank you for being here today. As some may know, if you live in the packhouse, know that ex Beta Devon had been acting out of place over the last few days. This was dealt with at the time. He was put in the cells and punished. Rogues almost attacked us last night, but they told us who told them to attack. This was your former Beta." I saw gasps and shocked faces. "Yes most of you will be shocked by this, he admits it. Not only that, but he also admits that he had ordered for the attack that happened 7 years ago when we lost my parents, Alpha Peter and Luna Maria." Growls and chattering were among the pack. The place feels betrayed by their ex Beta. "Silence, please. As from last night as all the pack felt that the Beta position was taken away from the pack. This was part of the punishment of beryl of the pack. The other part is to end the wolf who caused this betrayal and deaths of those who thought in the unnecessary rouge attack. Delta River, bring the prisoner out."

River came from behind the stage with 2 warriors holding on to Devon. Abigail walked behind them and was sobbing her heart out. Oliver walked to her and took her into his arms to offer support. They bring Devon in front of me. He had bags under his eyes and he looked very down in the dumps. Somewhere deep inside me, I did feel a bit sorry for him but that isn't going to change that was going to happen to him. "Ex Beta Devon, you are here in front of your pack for crimes and betrayal are forgivable. Being a rogue isn't an answer for you as you are in the rings with them. You have no formal power in the pack but still is a threat to us. By the witness of the pack, you will be executed with a silver sword. Do you have any last words?" He looked in my eyes and then to the pack. River had gone to the table and grabbed the sword with gloves. Walked back to me and handed over a pair of gloves for me to wear. When they were on, he handed me the sword and I readied myself.

"Enjoy this, this is not over yet," He looked back at me, "You will always be weak and hid behind people." With that, I pulled the sword to the left and with one big sweep cut clean of the head. It rolled onto the stage to the left. I took a step back as his body flopped forward. That did feel good, knowing that I did that to protect my pack. Warriors came onto the stage and took away his body and head to be burned. I made that a private thing. One of the warriors came and took the sword and gloves of me.

Gathering my thoughts, I turned to the pack who were getting over what just happened. "I feel this needs to have a good ending to this. Now the pack has no Beta at the moment but do not fret. Gamma Oliver has demonstrated loyalty and commitment which is what's needed for the pack. Oliver, please come forward." Oliver came from the right and kneeled in front of me. The blood from the dead body had quickly been moped up. "I, Alpha Lucinda of White Rose pack, promote you, Gamma Oliver, to be Beta of this pack. By doing this you are swearing to still protect the pack with your life and to be there to lead the pack if the Alpha is unavailable to do so. Also as Beta to follow through my order without questioning or to betray loyalty to those around you."

"I do, Alpha"

"I now announce to you Beta Oliver of White Rose pack." He stood and his aroma had changed to be stronger and now he is Beta. In my mind, mine and his private link had strengthened, which all packs have with their Beta. There were cheers and smiles, what happened before has gone from the minds. I see to my right Abigail had gone off and to my left Zaliver was looking at me with pride in his eyes but glancing to his Beta, there seems to be hatred in his eyes. But what for?