It Can't Be You

Lucinda POV

It wasn't even 2 hours when Oliver left the pack when the first sighting of a group of rogues on the edge of the territory. I tripled the warriors on all sides and patrols were made within the pack. I also alerted the pack to be on guard throughout the night, in case they attack during the night. River made sure the patrols were set and he went to the borders to keep an eye on the rogues. The rogues haven't attacked us yet but there is a chance they will. How did they know my Beta isn't here?

I tried to get River to stay closer to the packhouse and send Jupiter in his place during the night but he wasn't having it. I wasn't able to argue with him. Yes, I could have commanded him but I knew he would be pissed. So that's where he stayed all night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the morning, they had grown in numbers but still not attacked. I have asked all the packs around me to see if they would help. But unfortunately, they had their own troubles. River came back with a group from the night watch. They say that the rogues just watch them like we are their prey before they strike us. I told the pack to go to the safety bunkers if they were not going to fight, which was mostly children, elders, pregnant women and a few men that were going to watch over them.

After breakfast with the pack in the bunkers, River went back out to the borders. I also sent Jupiter with him. There is only so much I can take with that boy and I need to be alone.

I sat in my office and let my thoughts take over. I think of how much has changed, grown and developed. I think back to when the Alpha Zaliver was here. Those little sparks and calmness he sends. I've read about mates but he hasn't given off smell but maybe I'm just not finding it clearly. If it is true and Zaliver is my mate, I would become Queen. I would definitely give the pack over to Oliver. He would be a great leader, maybe I should just do that. I was brought out of my own little world with a mind link from Jupiter. "Rogues are attacking here in the North. River sent me here and he is still in the Eastside."

A thought struck me and I sent a whole pack link, "Why hasn't the alarm been set off when we are under attack?"

Nobody responded. Really strange, but they properly are defending the pack. So, I set off the alarm from my office. I was about to head out when my office door bangs open to which Jupiter was standing there. "The North rogues are all gone and so is the West, that I am told by one of the warriors on the way here. I tried to get to River but he wasn't responding. When I asked about him, the warriors at the Eastside say they can't find him."

"What do you mean they can't find him. He's their damn Delta."

"I don't know. Maybe we should get Oliver back. Warriors are fighting in the East where most were. I sent those who were fine in the South, West and North to the East but some stayed behind as you know."   

"Thanks, Jupiter. I'm going to..." Then a loud growl comes from outside the packhouse. Jupiter ran out of the office and picked up the phone. I call Oliver to say the situation the pack is in. Seconds he picked up. I hurried my words and thank Goddess he is bringing backup from the Royal pack.

I rushed out of my office, jumped down the stairs and I found the door hanging off but no Jupiter. Something is off. I walked out of the packhouse and down the steps when a growl sounded close by. "Who's there?" It growled again. I let my own growl out now more powerful than the other one. "Who the hell is there and why are you on my land." I let my senses full-on and got ready in case of an attack on me.

"Lucinda!" Someone cried out to which sounded like Jupiter. It was towards the East. So that's where I headed with all my senses still at a high. There was nobody around nor any sighting of a fight. Which was good because my warriors are holding up at the borders. I reach the tree line and I pick up Jupiter scent. But it didn't lead me anywhere except where I stood. "Jupiter, where are you?" I mind linking him but there was nothing. I try Oliver. "Ollie, what's your status?" He must be close because I can use mind links at him.

"I'm at our east side of the pack. I have Royal warriors with me. What about you?"

"River was meant to be there at the east, keep an eye out and Jupiter has disappeared from the tree line to the east of the packhouse. There is nothing around me. Oliver, what if it's a trap?"

"Damn, you need to run, Alpha. Come towards us, please." I started to run from where I was towards the fighting. As I ran, I felt that I was being followed. But as the running goes, I missed my footing and tripped over. I didn't land face-first to the ground, I did a little rollover. I quickly stood up and got into an attacking stance. I felt pressure in my mind but I couldn't get distracted. I move in a circle to keep my options open and the feeling of someone else here was still at a high.

"Whoever you are, come out. You are trespassing on my land!" I commanded who was listening. Even if they are rogues they will listen to an Alpha command. A laugh comes out of the trees to which a shadow appears to advance forward.

"My, my, haven't you grown into a fine Alpha. Mummy and Daddy would be proud if they were here. Oh, but they are not because I killed them." That voice, I know its voice.

"Just come out, I'm not in the mood for chit chat." Growling and making sure I am sending off powerful vibes. In the distance, there were more wolves coming towards me.

"Oh impatient, are we." The shadow of the person moves more into my view. There stood a man, with messy hair and what looked like various scratch marks. He had his arms crossed and stood tall. "You really need to train your pack better, rogues like to get through your defence rather quickly. But then, you do choose the wrong people to stand by you." What the hell does he mean and how do I recognise him from the past?

"What do you mean? I trust those who are close to me and they stood by me when Devon was out of the picture." I still stood there, in my attack position. In case he changes his mind and just attacks me. The wolves I saw have stopped near trees and watched what's going on. I would mind link someone but that I would lose concentration on the man in front of me.

"Ah but, remember. He was part of the picture to what's happening. You know there are others who play their part. But I am sad that you don't recognise me, but it has been 9 years since your lovely father decided I'm no good for the pack." Father didn't banish our wolves from the pack because he knows that bad deeds can be rectified by hard work. Nevertheless, he only did it once in my time. Thinking about who it was but then it clicked into place.

"It can't be you. We are the same age and what you did wasn't that bad. Was it?" He just laughed.

After he had laughed at this, he regained his posture and said, "You have no idea. Lucinda. What did your father say to you?" I thought back to when this supposed person was banished.

"He said that the reason why you supposedly banished was that you were purposely trying to kill someone in the pack. He couldn't risk it and he never said who." I was confused as to why this had to do with the present.

"Ha, I see you are confused. That person was going to be your father and then you." My breath left me and stood frozen in shock. Me. He was going to kill me. "Bloody Oliver had to see me, didn't he. I deserved to be Alpha, not you. When I turned rogue, I became friendly with a large group. I told of the plan to get rid of the Alpha family. Devon got a whiff of this and wanted in plus so did another person he thought of. That attack didn't go as planned, as you know. You lived and I had lost lots of rogues. I had to wait all this time to get a big enough group to get back. Now that you are here in front of me, I have the chance to get what I want from all those years ago."

"Wait. Your name is Harrison?" A smile was plastered on his face. "We were close friends and treated like family when your father couldn't look after you when your mother died shortly after childbirth. I could have chosen you to be my Beta and demoted Devon. We could have been a great team. Who is working with you and where the hell are my friends? Or more importantly, why attack when my Beta isn't here?"

"You finally figure out who I am. We could have been but I didn't want to answer to a female Alpha. To answer your other questions, wait I'm not. Ha, where's the fun if I tell you the answers." With that, he pounced.