Long talks

Recap
Maybe I got lost in his thoughts but I jumped when suddenly something from behind covered my eyes.
"Guess who it is" the voice said, with a cocky tone. His fingers were soft, but a little cold, so my eyes squinted together at the sudden coolness.
Lance!
————————————————————————

"Hmm now who could it be?" I smirked a little and placed my hands on lances wrists, slowly tearing them away from my pale complexion. "It's gotta be lance"
I heard him giggle from behind me, then moved to my left and sat down next to me. It wasn't graceful in the slightest, sand bounced up from its bed on the beach and puffed up
In small dust clouds. But of course I wasn't very graceful myself so I didn't mind. Lance smiled at me then turned his smile to the vast pool in front of us. His eyes seemed to gleam at the sight. The light from the stars reflected off his face, of course drawing attention to his freckles.

"You know, you have tons of freckles"
I smiled at him and was surprised when he frowned a little and hid his face, turning his head so the freckles were out of my view. "I know unfortunately" he mumbled but loud enough for me to hear. "Unfortunately? Why do you say that?" He looked back at me reluctantly. "There's too many of them.. they invade my face. I was actually thinking of getting makeup or something.. to cover them." He chuckled, as if to laugh at himself.

"What? Why would you do that? I.."
I paused. "I like your freckles. They look like the constellations that splatter over the night sky." I felt stupid, who even says that on a whim? But lance smiled, his grin running across his smooth skin from ear to ear. Maybe I was looking too hard but I saw a tint in his cheeks. Blush. "What an extended vocabulary you have there mullet" I laughed and he laughed with me. "I've been told that" I responded, looking up at the sky, then playing with the small golden grains of the beach between my finger tips. Lance pulled his backpack off his shoulder and plopped it on the ground beside him, from the worm bag he produced 2 pairs of swim trunks. He turned back to me and held one of the pairs out. "Wanna go for a swim? I brought two pairs!" I eyed them, taking the trunks and unfolding them from the wadded ball they were in. "You have two pairs of swim trunks?" "Yeah! Well one pairs older, and the ones your holding are the ones I bought to replace these ones." He lifted up the fabric in his hand. "But alas, it was too big for me, so I guessed they might fit you?" I nodded, after looking at the tag on the inside hem. The material was a bit scratchy from being new, but flows swiftly through my hands. "They should".

Lance smiled again, and got up from the floor, walking towards the wall of rock and stone that covered the small, probably burnt logs that hosted the fire from yesterday. I realized I was staring, lance was probably going to change his trunks. I felt my skin blush, so I quickly looked back to the sea. Patiently waiting for lance to come back, I looked out and saw a small boat riding the waves. It was quite far away so I could see anything but the silhouette of its shape behind the moonlight. It had two sails and a big steering wheel at the front.

After a few more minutes I could see lance coming back from the side of my eye. I turned and smiled. The trunks he wore had faded, tropical looking fish all over them. And he had left the slightly oversized shirt he was wearing before on, I'm guessing he's self conscious of that too. I got up to go change myself, he grinned as I walked past him. Taking lances place behind the wall, I took a closer look at the swim trunks I received. Mine weren't faded since they were new, and little red and yellow flowers occupied the fabric. I slipped them on, and they felt slightly loose so I tightened the draw strings. When I headed back to the spot of the beach where lance was supposed to be, all I saw was his bag. I looked around the beach and soon found him facing the moon in the ocean, sitting on his knees. I ran into the water and splashed him with my foot, he flinched at the cold water and turned to splash me back . He looked so annoyed, he was almost pouting. I giggled and sat down in the water with him, my bony arms supporting the weight of my body as I leaned back onto them. I saw lance staring at me, so I stared back. I seemed to have scared him and he looked away embarrassed. "Do you usually sit here?" He stretched his arms, showing the curves of his body threw the wet shirt. "Well sometimes I do, but I mainly sit on the beach. I'm one of the only people in my family who is curious of the stars and sky." He chuckled. "What about you mullet? What about the world interests you?"

I looked up at the sky, the lovely night sky dotted with thousands of fiery balls of light. I actually had to think of this one. I never really went out much, and didn't pay much attention to nature. Unlike lance, who seemed to always be looking at nature, I was usually indoors, in my room. Or hanging out in the fields near my school. Music was my main friend, I paid more attention to that then the world around me. One memory did strike me though. When I was younger, me and my mom and dad  would venture into the thick forests that were in the park, that was when we still lived at our old house. The one I made most of my childhood memories in. Mom always seemed to like moss, she always said she thought it looked like a soft blanket that covered the damaged tree trunks. Looking back I see where my vocabulary came from, along with my poetic speeches.

"Moss" I said plainly, and lance faced me again.  "Moss" he repeated and smiled. I have no idea why that was interesting to him. He didn't know the reason so it sounded weird coming out of my chapped lips. "Why Moss?"
"W-well, my mom loved Moss. She said that it reminded her of a blanket. A blanket that protected the tree trunks of the forest." I shrugged, but his grin grew. "How poetic. Is your mom a poet?"
"She wrote stuff in her free time but worked in a green house mainly." Lance laid down more into the water. "I see, I'm sure you and her get along very well" I smiled sadly and laughed a bit. "Yeah, we did" lances smile faded. "Did?" "She uh.. she died when I was small. Around 6 years old I believe." I said bluntly, looking at him. "Oh.. I see. I'm sorry Keith." He looked kinda guilty, like he stepped on the wrong stepping stone. "No! It's fine, you couldn't have known."
"She loved you."
"I know she did, I'm sure she still does."

We spent the rest of the night sitting their, basking in the cool waves that enveloped my legs with a rhythmic motion. Small conversations here and there, but mostly we were silent. Not a bad silence. But a nice silence, as if we were having an entire conversation by looking at each other. The waves seemed to settle down, slowly fading into the endless expanse of ocean that sat miles and miles in front of us.

I could definitely get used to this.