10 ➣ Serenity

"I'll accept the courage and jump in soon!"

S T A R T

He laid in his bed with his hand under his head. Sasuke's usual white robe was tossed to the end of his bed, leaving him shirtless. His onyx eyes gazed up at the ceiling, tracing the intricate patterns with his gaze.

He was younger. About seven.

His chest felt heavy, running to the place where his best friend resided, knowing that she would be there to cheer him up.

When he got to her door, he knocked on it rather gently, hiding the emotions he was feeling. Truth was, he would've banged on the door with all his might, yelling Sanae's name if he could.

The door opened to reveal Mika. She saw him and smiled.

"Hi, Sasuke!" She grinned, gesturing for the boy to come inside.

He slowly strode in. "Hello, Mika-san. Is Sanae-chan here?"

The woman nodded. "She's in her room."

The boy nodded. "Thank you," He responded, running down the family hallways and into the room of his closest friend. He turned the knob, bursting the doors open.

Sanae, bewildered, looked up from her puzzle to see a distraught Sasuke running into her room and face-planting into her bed. "You're so lucky you have a real bed Sanae! I have to sleep on a futon!"

His voice was muffled from his face being stuffed into her sheets, which smelled like her. He couldn't pinpoint the scent exactly, but it was fresh and floral. It suited her.

"Futons aren't that bad, Sasuke," Sanae assured, slightly dazed by whatever happened.

"Anyway, what brings you here?" He could hear her grin from the tone of how she spoke.

He was silent for a moment, before muttering, still face-planted into her sheets. "I'll never be like nii-san."

Sanae sighed. "You don't need to be like Itachi-nii, Sasuke. You just need to be like... Sasuke!"

Weirded out and confused by his friend's answer, he looked up at her. "What does that mean?"

Yeah, he was the top in all his classes, but when it came to this girl and her whole self, he just became confused. Half of what she usually says to him just flys way over his head.